Action and Impact
Smith College’s sustainability work is informed and led by a set of strategic plans and policies including the college’s Strategic Plan, the Study Group on Climate Change Recommendations, existing and emerging goals and actions for equity and inclusion, and more.
Leadership & Recognition
About the Committee
The Committee on Sustainability is concerned with the best long-term use of finite natural resources and the college's impact on the local, regional and global environment. It identifies, implements and evaluates approaches for increasing Smith's commitment to sustainability in all areas of the campus, including (but not limited to) construction, transportation, materials and energy use, waste management, purchasing, investment and the campus curriculum. It will also monitor the college’s progress toward meeting the recommendations from the Study Group on Climate Change and report annually to the community.
Committee on Sustainability Members
- Chris Aiken, Professor, Dance
- Alexander Barron, Assistant Professor, Environmental Science & Policy
- Jim Gray, Associate VP of Facilities and Operations
- Timothy Johnson, Director, Smith College Botanic Garden
- Denise McKahn, Associate Professor, Engineering
- Amy Rhodes, Professor, Geosciences
- Beth Hooker, Director of Sustainability and Administrative Director of CEEDS
Specific policies that guide operations on campus will be listed below as they are adopted.