Professor Elizabeth Stordeur Pryor explores the complexities of talking about the N-word without doing harm.
Read Smith’s plans for the fall 2021 semester.
Current Operating Mode: GREEN
The Grécourt Gate welcomes your submissions. To discuss a story idea of interest to the Smith community, contact Barbara Solow at 413-585-2171 or send email to email@example.com.
The Smith eDigest is sent to all campus email accounts on Tuesday and Thursday each week during the academic year and on Tuesdays during the summer. Items for eDigest are limited to official Smith business and must be submitted by 5 p.m. on the day prior to the next edition’s distribution.
Psychology of Political Activism: Smith’s MOOC Launches This Week
The seven-week course—taught by psychology professor Lauren Duncan and based on the popular in-person Smith course that she’s taught for 17 years—is open to learners from around the world at no charge.
Katherine Rowe, Smith’s provost and dean of the faculty, notes that since the course’s inception, “Three goals have inspired the Smith MOOC team: to create a distinctive online format that is true to the discussion-based, collaborative culture of learning that we so value at Smith; to make Smith’s unique archival collections in women’s history accessible to a wide audience in an inclusive way; and to highlight Smith’s commitment to positive change in the world.”
“The MOOC topic and its collaboratively produced course units (crafted by faculty, staff, students and activists working together) represent a uniquely liberal arts perspective on how to create and run a MOOC,” Rowe said.
Here’s a quick look at the course so far:
- Number of students enrolled: 5,168 (and growing!)
- Median student age: 29
- Countries represented in the MOOC student body: 147
- Percent of enrollment from outside the U.S.: 61%
- Top five countries represented: U.S., U.K., Brazil, India, Canada
- Gender: 84.1% Female, 14.1% Male, 1.8% Other
- Education: High school diploma or less: 24%, College degree: 41.5%, Advanced degree: 32.7%
- Activists featured in the course: 9 (including Gloria Steinem ’56, Loretta Ross, Katsi Cook and others)
- Smith students who helped create and/or monitor the course: 23
- Psychological theories discussed: 6
- Number of course sessions: 7
- Sophia Smith Collection items featured in the course: 263
- Number of short videos created for the MOOC: 58
- Estimated participation time: Just 3-5 hours per week
- Total number of courses offered through edX right now: 889
- Other edX courses focusing on political activism, featuring items from one of the world’s best women’s history archives, with content created by students: 0
Want to learn more about Smith’s MOOC? Check out the course Facebook page.