Sarah Willie-LeBreton on her appointment as Smith College's 12th president, the global impact of Smith alums, what brings her joy, and the power of the liberal arts.
The Grécourt Gate welcomes your submissions. To discuss a story idea of interest to the Smith community, contact Barbara Solow at 413-585-2171 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Smith eDigest is sent to all campus email accounts on Tuesday and Thursday each week during the academic year and on Tuesdays during the summer. Items for eDigest are limited to official Smith business and must be submitted by 5 p.m. on the day prior to the next edition’s distribution.
Smith Bids Farewell to Retiring Faculty Members
At a luncheon held earlier this month, President Kathleen McCartney thanked this year’s faculty retirees for their 309 years of combined service to the college.
“Each of these faculty members has contributed to the Smith community through teaching, research and service,” McCartney said. “They have transformed many lives as mentors and role models for generations of Smith students. They will be missed.”
Faculty members retiring this year are:
- Peter Bloom, Grace Jarcho Ross 1933 Professor of Humanities and Professor of Music
- Dean Flower, professor of English language and literature
- Paula Giddings, Elizabeth A. Woodson 1922 Professor of Africana Studies
- Justina Gregory, Sophia Smith Professor of Classical Languages and Literatures,
- Ruth Haas, Achilles Professor of Mathematics and Statistics
- Robert Hosmer, senior lecturer in English language and literature
- Robert Linck, professor of chemistry
- Phoebe Porter, lecturer in Spanish and Portuguese
- Christine Shelton, professor of exercise and sport studies