Read Smith’s UPDATED plans as of August 5, 2020,
for an entirely remote fall 2020 semester.
COVID-19 Control Plan
COVID-19 Control Plan
All businesses in the state of MA must develop a written control plan outlining how their workplace will comply with the mandatory safety standards for operation in the COVID-19 reopening period.
- Everyone will be trained on these standards and provided with up-to-date safety information and precautions.
- Specific campus populations will be given access to campus according to the college’s phased reopening plan, which will be finalized by July 1.
- If access to campus has not been granted via the approved phasing plan, a return to campus must be authorized in advance.
- Staff must be approved by their cabinet member and CIRT via their manager.
- Faculty must be approved by CIRT via the provost’s office.
- Students must be approved by the Dean of the College office.
- A reduced number of students, faculty and staff will be on campus. Many employees will continue to work remotely. Everyone partaking in in-person activities must maintain a 6-foot (2 meters) distance to the greatest extent possible.
- Room densities will be reduced to 45-55 ft. sq. per person (4 - 5 m. sq.)
- When needed, small in-person gatherings must be conducted in a way that adheres to physical distancing guidance or remotely if possible.
- Departments and units will develop operational plans to adhere to this guidance.
- Guests, travel and in-person events will not be permitted, or will be severely curtailed.
- Everyone will be expected to wear a well-fitted face mask or approved face covering, covering nose and mouth, at all times in all indoor spaces (with the exception of when alone in private offices or, for students in individual rooms).
- Everyone will be expected to wear face coverings outdoors on the center of campus (areas and pathways in and around Chapin, Burton and Seelye Lawns, as well as the Quadrangle) and elsewhere on campus where they cannot reasonably expect to maintain at least six feet (2 meters) of distance from all other persons at all times.
- All campus community members will receive masks or approved face coverings if they would like them.
- Everyone will be expected to properly wash or sanitize hands at every transition from one space to another.
- Facilities will provide hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes in all open buildings.
Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Custodial and housekeeping staff will be responsible for maintaining appropriate levels/schedules of cleaning and disinfection campus-wide.
- Everyone will be required to participate in cleaning and disinfecting shared and personal high touch surfaces.
- Everyone will be expected to carefully monitor their health on a daily basis and remain away from campus (employees and off-campus students) or contact the Schacht Center for Health and Wellness (on-campus and local students) if they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
- Everyone will be provided with a daily checklist for symptoms.