At-Home COVID Testing Information
Beginning on January 15, 2022, eligible costs for up to eight FDA-authorized, rapid, at-home COVID tests per member per month will be covered for those enrolled in a Smith Blue Cross Blue Shield plan. While Blue Cross Blue Shield’s and OptumRx’s websites are the official source for the latest information, for convenience, following is a summary as of February 2, 2022.
Via Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) Coverage
- Eligible members can download a test kit form, print it and mail or email it to the addresses listed on the form. Save copies of your receipts as you may be asked to submit them at a later time.
- Additionally, BCBS is creating a national preferred pharmacy network that will include more than 20,000 retail pharmacies. Once the network is operational, BCBS members can obtain certain authorized tests at a preferred pharmacy for $0.
- For BCBS members who buy different tests or tests outside of the preferred pharmacy network, BCBS will reimburse up to $12 per test ($24 for a box of two).
Via OptumRx Coverage
You have four options for coverage of OTC at-home COVID-19 test kits:
Visit optumrx.com/testinfo for the latest updates and information.
- Pay $0 at a preferred network pharmacy. Visit the pharmacy counter at a Walgreens, Rite Aid (including Bartell Drugs), Sam’s Club, Walmart Pharmacy or Kinney Drugs and present your member ID card and ask to have your OTC at-home COVID-19 test kits submitted to your plan for coverage.
- Order at-home COVID-19 tests online with $0 copay through Optum Store. Get free shipping on orders of $45+.
- Go to OptumRx’s website and sign in.
- Select the quantity of test kits and click Add to Cart. Log in and check out via the Optum Store.
- On the homepage, click the Order Now button located next to Get at-home COVID-19 tests with $0 copay*.
- Purchase a kit and then submit an online form for reimbursement: You can also purchase an OTC at-home COVID-19 test kit at other stores or online retailers. Keep your purchase receipt(s) to submit for reimbursement. Your plan will reimburse up to $12 per test. Start your online request form here.
- Purchase a kit and then print and mail in a paper reimbursement form. You can print a form and then mail it in. Your plan will reimburse up to $12 per test. Please note you will receive reimbursement more quickly if you submit an online claim form.