Be a Bridge Leader
How to Apply
To apply, complete the Bridge Leader Application Form. Applications are due February 27.
Please provide a link to the Bridge Leader Reference Form to two faculty or staff members so that they may use complete a reference form for you. Faculty and staff reference forms are due February 27.
The interview schedule for Bridge Leadership positions will be set in late February.
The list below includes some of the things we're looking for in potential leaders.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, initiative, accountability, motivation and professionalism
- The ability to work as a team member
- The ability to adapt to new situations
- The ability to work under pressure
- Flexibility—the ability to adapt to change with ease and grace
- Proven troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- The ability to work with diverse populations
- Enthusiasm and a positive attitude
- The perspective of having been a Bridge participant or student leader at Smith in some capacity.
Do we get paid to serve as Bridge leaders?
Yes. Most (if not all), however, do it because they value the opportunity to give back to a program that they absolutely love!
Bridge Leader Position Descriptions
The Bridge house manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Bridge Pre-Orientation program. The house manager will correspond with the assistant house manager the summer before Bridge training. The house manager maintains the workshop schedule, plans activities and supervises special projects. In addition, the house manager ensures that participants are informed of house and Bridge rules and responds to situations of immediate need.
Assistant House Manager
The assistant house manager has many responsibilities: transportation and room assignments; distributing and collecting keys; and collecting and distributing evaluations. Additionally, the assistant house manager helps coordinate special projects, among other tasks. These include engaging participants in games and activities that help build community and unity.
Bridge leaders are responsible for leading a workshop of their own design, supervising program participants in a residential setting, and working with fellow Bridge Leaders to create a fun and welcoming atmosphere for the new students. Bridge Leaders are the core of the program and are expected to attend all program activities and be available to assist Bridge participants. They are also encouraged to remain in contact with participants, if their schedule allows, throughout the year.
Important Bridge Leader Dates
- Spring Reception and Meeting: March 27, 2017
- August Training: August 20–24, 2017
- Bridge Pre-Orientation: August 25–30, 2017
- Reflection and Debrief: August 31, 2017