The Office of the Registrar maintains the permanent academic records of all students. The office is responsible for course registration, classroom scheduling, transcripts, transfer credit, certification of enrollments, issuing diplomas and producing the schedule of classes.
The Registrar's Office will maintain summer office hours (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.) beginning Tuesday, May 31, through Friday, August 26. Normal office hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) will resume Monday, August 29.
Opening of the College
All entering students (First Years, Adas, and Transfers) are required to go through Central Check-In (CCI) on Friday, September 2, 8:30am-12:30pm. Information on Check-In and Orientation can be found on the Student Affairs Website.
Returning students can find information about key pick-up on the Residence Life Website.
Five College Course Credits
Effective for Fall 2016 registration: courses at UMass will be awarded the credit value assigned by that institution. For example, a UMass course bearing 3.00 credits will be recorded on the Smith transcript at 3.00 credits.
For more information see Course Credits on the Guidelines page.
Registration Deadlines - Fall 2016
Wednesday, September 21*
- Last day to add/drop a course online
- Last day to add/drop first half semester course
- Last day to submit permission via waiver form
- Last day to add a Five College course**
Wednesday, September 28
- Last day to add a Smith course
- Last day for Ada Comstock Scholars to drop a course without financial consequences
Friday, October 14
- Last day to drop a course
- Last day to change grading option in first half semester course
Friday, November 11
- Last day to change grading option in Smith course
- Last day to use Free Drop option (see class dean)
- Last day to add/drop a second half semester course
Wednesday, November 30
- Last day to change grading option in second half semester course
*all course changes after September 21 require signatures of instructor, adviser and class dean on add/drop form
**consult host registrar about deadlines to declare pass/fail options.