TELEPHONES & VOICEMAIL
New Campus Telephone and Voicemail System
Starting in Jan 2021, ITS will begin a phased transition of campus phones to a new telephone and voicemail system. The transition will continue throughout the year with each phase consisting of a defined set of buildings or departments. Community members will receive direct communication and training in advance of the upgrade of their campus phone extension.
Using the New System: Training Materials and Resources
- New Telephone and Voicemail Overview (PDF of workshop slide deck) - Provides general information and key takeaways for Smith community members on the new telephones and voicemail system, as well as the optional Mobility App.
Avaya Telephone Overview instructional video - This video reviews the features and functions of the new campus telephones.
To view specific topics, fast forward to the specific timestamps:
0:04 Review of telephone buttons and controls
5:48 Connection jacks
6:17 Call appearances
6:53 Incoming calls / Making an external call
7:54 Ways to make a call
8:30 Transferring a call
9:34 Call History
10:26 Conference Calls
11:33 Changing your phone's ringtone
12:09 Send all calls feature
- Avaya Telephone Quick Reference Guide - This printable PDF provides an overview of the buttons and features of the new Avaya telephones and includes instructions for common functions, such as conference and transfer.
- Using the Avaya Voicemail Messaging System - This page provides step-by-step commands for common voicemail functions.
- Voicemail Quick Reference Card - This printable PDF file includes a graphical layout of the various menu options and commands in the voicemail system, as well as useful tips.
- Avaya Workplace Mobile App Setup Guide - The document provides step-by-step instructions for setting up the softphone app on your mobile device, allowing you to receive and place calls on your personal device using your campus extension.
NOTE: The following instructions are for using the legacy telephone system. If your campus extension and phone have been transitioned to the new system after Jan 2021, refer to the section above.
Voicemail Web Access (Discontinued)
Due to security concerns around the use of Flash player, the voicemail web interface is no longer available. Voicemails messages can be accessed using the voice mail system's touch-tone interface as follows:
1. Dial 413-585-2074
2. Enter your mailbox number and press the # key.
3. Enter your password and press the # key.
NOTE: The following applies to the legacy system. If your campus extension and phone have been transitioned to the new system after Jan 2021, refer to the section above.
Using the Voicemail System - This document explains how to use Smith's voicemail system.
Faculty and Staff Quick Reference Guide to using the Nortel Phone.
Frequently Asked Questions - This document contains a list of frequently asked questions about the telephone and voicemail system.
Telephones in Residence Houses
Hall phones are provided in student resident houses and can be used for emergency, on campus, local and toll free calling.