Note: Starting on Monday August 19, 2019 Microsoft Office 365 will be updated to use your Smith Network Username and password.
Smith students, faculty, and staff are eligible to install Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus on their personally owned computers and mobile devices. Each user can install Office 365 on up to 5 different machines, including Windows computers, Macs, and mobile devices. Office 365 account holders also receive a free Microsoft OneDrive cloud-storage account.
Note: This offer does not apply to Smith-owned or Smith-issued desktop or laptop computers, which have a different type of Microsoft Office license.
Important things to know before installing Office 365
- Who is eligible? Smith students, faculty, and staff, part time or full time. Some examples of ineligible users are temporary employees, limited term employees, people auditing classes, and non-Smith enrolled students. This account requires you to have an @smith.edu.
- How long will my account remain active? Your account will remain active as long as you are a current student or employee and you launch at least one Office application each month while you are connected to the Internet.
When your Smith account expires, you will be given the opportunity to purchase an Office 365 license directly from Microsoft. Note that you must move any files stored in your OneDrive cloud storage account before your account expires.
- Should I store my files in OneDrive? You can store personal files in OneDrive if you wish, but the ITS policy prohibits the use of OneDrive for storing college-owned data.
For further information, see the Smith College Information Security Program page: https://www.smith.edu/its/policies/cis_program.pdf
- What is my username and password for Office 365? Your Office 365 account is created by you, but you must use your Smith email address and password. The password changes when you change your Smith network password.
- Where can I get more information on this product? Visit the Office 365 web page.
Create an Account and Download Office 365
If you have an older version of Microsoft Office on your computer, we recommend uninstalling it before you begin the process below.
- Start on the Microsoft signup page.
- Enter your Smith email address, then click get started.
- Click on either student or teacher from the choices (all faculty and staff can select teacher).
- Follow the screen prompts until you see either "Good morning, Good afternoon and your name.
- You will see a list of Microsoft Office applications. Click Install now to download the software to your computer or mobile device.
- The first time you launch an Office application, you will be prompted to sign in to an existing Office 365 subscription. Enter your Smith email address and password.