Ways to get to your Community Service Activity:
- Check the CSO Directory (online or in the Office) to see if your community service activity is within walking distance or on a bus route.
- If your community service activity is within walking distance, please be aware of your surroundings as you walk.
- If your community service activity is on a bus line, check the PVTA bus schedule. Additionally, check with the CSO to see if we have bus passes. If we do, we would be happy to provide you with bus passes to get to and from your volunteer placement.
- Use a CSO van.
"I enjoy the drive to Homework House each week. It's a good chance to clear my head before I arrive, and reflect on what happened during that day's tutoring session afterwards. It also feels good to know that I'm enabling another 6 volunteers to tutor with me." - Veronica, '17
The CSO maintains four vehicles to assist students in getting to community service partner organizations, CCC-related initiatives and projects, and religious services.
CSO's transportation policy does not allow students to use their own private vehicle to drive other students or program participants for CSO sponsored community service projects. Insurance coverage follows the owner of the vehicle therefore if someone were using their private vehicle it puts the driver and passenger at an increased liability should an accident occur.
Reserving a Van
Reservations should be made at least five work days in advance of the day you want to use a van. Regular use will be scheduled weekly and bi-weekly as requested. If you are unable to use the van at the reserved time, please contact the CSO as soon as possible. Students who reserve a van that they do not use and do not cancel their reservation may be suspended from reserving vans for up to a month for each offense.
To Reserve a Van
- Fill out the Vehicle Reservation Form (The van coordinator will contact you within four business days to let you know if there is a car available.)
- If you are a first-time car user, you will need to become SGA-CSO Van Certified.
- The agency that you are driving to must fill out the Agency Confirmation Form. They may also send the information by fax to (413) 585-2794 or by e-mail.
- All passenger forms (see forms below) must be filled out each time the van is used
Transporting Children/Field Trip Permission Form (PDF)
If you will be transporting children under 18, you must have this form signed by the parent or guardian before each trip
Rules and Regulations
CSO Van Manual (PDF)
Vans used during the weekday hours of 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. are reserved for students attending placements at schools, afterschool programs and mentoring programs with CSO/JCCE partner organizations. (Students may use CSO vans for other purposes, such as chapel services, outside of these hours.)
Picking up Keys
Van keys must be picked up at the CSO, in the Program Coordinator's office, room 019, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will have to sign out the key packet. Be prepared to show your license.
If you are using a van over the weekend, you must pick up the van packet before 4:00 p.m. on Friday. Van packets with keys and completed forms must be returned to the letter box in the Chapel basement door as soon as you return to campus!
Any unauthorized use of the vans (use outside your reservation) will be considered theft and will result in serious disciplinary action such as suspension from driving a college vehicle and reporting to the Judicial Board.