Step 4. Record Information about Special Desktop Shortcuts
If you have any shortcuts on your desktop that point to a specific document or file (e.g., Excel spreadsheet, Access database) on a network drive (H: or S:) :
- Right-click on the shortcut.
- From the pop-up menu, choose Properties.
- In the Properties window, click on the Shortcut tab.
- Write down the pathway shown in the Target field, so you can later recreate your shortcut on your new computer. You can also right-click > copy the path and paste into a Word or Notepad document that you can save to a separate location.
If you wish to save a picture of your current desktop for future reference:
- Hit the Windows logo key on the keyboard and start typing in Snipping Tool
- When Snipping Tool shows up, Click on it. This will open the Snipping Tool window.
- You can first click on Mode and choose how you want to take the screenshot.
- Once you are done click on New and based on the Mode you selected, Take your screenshot.
- After the screenshot a window will pop up of the screenshot. Click on File and Save As. Choose your location on where to save it. (The H drive, Google Drive or an External Drive).
Continue to Step 5: Printer Information