Below is a brief list of books about the families and their times. This is by no means a definitive list and contains primarily titles about the notable patriarchs of the Garrison and Hale families. The Bodmans, Dunhams, and less-well-known Hales and Garrisons invite the attention of scholars.
Information on many of the individuals in the families as well as their friends and associates can be found in standard biographical dictionaries such as American National Biography, Dictionary of American Biography, Dictionary of Literary Biography, Notable American Women, Notable Black American Men, and Notable Black American Women.
Bodman and Dunham Families
- Ellen-Fairbanks Diggs Bodman, Herbert Luther Bodman, Jr., Richard Wainwright Bodman, and Robert Edgar Bodman, A Bodman Chronicle (Evansville, IL: Unigraphic, Inc., 1979).
- Christopher Clark, The Roots of Rural Capitalism: Western Massachusetts, 1780-1860 (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1990).
- Harriet Hyman Alonso, Growing Up Abolitionist: the Story of the Garrison Children (Amherst, MA: University of Massachusetts Press, 2002).
- Wendell Phillips Garrison and Francis Jackson Garrison, William Lloyd Garrison, 1805-1879; the Story of His Life Told by His Children (New York, NY: Houghton, Mifflin & Co., 1894).
- Henry Mayer, All on Fire: William Lloyd Garrison and the Abolition of Slavery (New York, NY: St. Martin's Press, 1998).
- Walter M. Merrill, editor, The Letters of William Lloyd Garrison (Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1971-81).
- Lindsay Swift, William Lloyd Garrison (Philadelphia, PA: G.W. Jacobs & Co., 1911).
For more online documents see Relations between Abolitionist Women and Slaveholding Relatives on the Women and Social Movements Web site (documents selected from the Garrison Family Papers).
- John R. Adams, Edward Everett Hale (Boston, MA: Twayne Publishers, 1977).
- Caroline P. Atkinson, editor, Letters of Susan Hale (Boston, MA: Marshall Jones Co., 1919).
- Edward Everett Hale, A New England Boyhood, and Other Bits of Autobiography (Boston, MA: Little, Brown & Co., 1900).
- Edward Everett Hale, Memories of a Hundred Years (New York, NY: The Macmillan Co., 1902).
- Nancy Hale, A New England Girlhood (Boston, MA: Little, Brown & Co., 1958).
- Nancy Hale, The Life in the Studio (Boston, MA: Little, Brown & Co., 1969).
- Edward Everett Hale, Jr., The Life and Letters of Edward Everett Hale (Boston, MA: Little, Brown & Co., 1917).
- Jean Holloway, Edward Everett Hale, a Biography (Austin, TX: University of Texas Press, 1956).