Alternate Scholarship Resources
Scholarship Web Sites
This section contains a listing of website links to and reference books of countless fellowships and related opportunities, where you might find what you seek. Duplication of data is unavoidable.
Reclick (italized) head to retract text & recall menu to top.
Smith has many resources besides the Fellowship Office. Make sure when you are seeking funding for a project that you check out all resources available to you.
Visit the CDO website at www.smith.edu/cdo/ and stop into their office. The CDO offers a library with a section for funding.
The Office of Student Financial Services also offers resources for scholarships and other funding. Stop by their office to check out what's new. You can also visit their website for contact information at http://www.smith.edu/finaid/
Search the Five College Library system at http://www.smith.edu/libraries/ for listings of books on fellowships, scholarships, and funding.
www.fastweb.com - a free website that list a wide range of awards for undergraduates.
- Careers and Colleges
www.careersandcolleges.com - a free scholarship search for mostly undergraduate scholarships. - a free scholarship search for mostly undergraduate scholarships.
- Social Science Resource Council
http://www.ssrc.org/fellowships/search/ - a good selection of graduate awards.
- International Research and Exchanges Board (IREX)
www.irex.org/ - awards for study, research and internships in other countries.
- Council on International Educational Exchange
http://www.ciee.org/study/index.aspx - awards for study abroad, primarily on CIEE programs, but some others available.
- Monster Work Abroad
- U.S. College Scholarships and Grants for Students
BrainTrack's Financial Aid Guide offers several advantages for visitors to your Apply Independently page, including:
* */Broad coverage:/* Over 30 original articles cover topics that should be of interest to any student pursuing financial aid, including guidance on obtaining aid from the federal government, state governments, colleges and universities, private organizations, community service, scholarships, and more. The articles link to dozens of other references to enable further research.
* */Planning assistance:/* Articles help students plan their finances with strategies on maximizing aid, timelines, Frequently Asked Questions, and a glossary.
* */Federal Aid:/* A special focus on this major source of aid details topics including FAFSA, grants, loans, work-study, military programs, taxes, and changes during 2010 and 2011.
* */Scholarships:/* We offer our own for business, computer science, teaching, and nursing students (see http://www.braintrack.com/about-braintrack-scholarships.htm) and provide guidance for finding scholarships across a wide variety of sources.
* */School Costs:/* Estimated costs of tuition, room and board, books, supplies, and other items are included as part of detailed profiles for thousands of US schools on BrainTrack. All of our listed US colleges and universities are recognized by the US Department of Education as being accredited.
*About BrainTrack:* Established in 1996, BrainTrack is cited by thousands of sites, including: universities like Stanford, Harvard, and Yale; libraries like the US Library of Congress; and publications like the New York Times. Our site features a directory of over 10,000 higher education institutions from over 190 countries, thousands of which have original profiles. For the US we help visitors find schools and careers of interest through our College and Career Guide (http://www.braintrack.com/colleges-by-career). We also provide original articles on topics such as accreditation, transfers, and studying in the US as well as a newsfeed and interviews with college and career experts.
See here: http://www.college-scholarships.com/
Here is an updated list of fellowship opportunities for non-US Citizens: http://bit.ly/NonUSCitizenFellowships
See here: http://www.fdncenter.org/
See here: http://www.free-4u.com/
GraduateTutor.com's Scholarship Directory has $1.6 million worth of scholarships and is quickly growing. It is a free scholarship directory and requires no registration. Students can search for scholarships in multiple ways including keywords, courses, deadline, courses, who it is open to and the scholarship amount.
See here: http://graduatetutor.com/scholarships/
InternationalScholarships.com is the premier financial aid, college scholarship and international scholarship resource for students wishing to study abroad. At this site, you will find the most comprehensive listing of grants, scholarships, loan programs, and other information to assist college and university students in their pursuit to study abroad. This is an online financial aid database for students from any origin.
The Dow Jones Newspaper Fund was founded by editors of The Wall Street Journal to improve the quality of journalism education and the pool of applicants for jobs in the newspaper business. It provides internships and scholarships to college students, career literature, fellowships for high school journalism teachers and publications' advisers and training for college journalism instructors. The Fund is a nonprofit foundation supported by the Dow Jones Foundation, Dow Jones & Company, Inc. and other newspaper companies.
This website lists continuously updated career and scholarship information, including job and internship opportunities, for journalism students and professionals.
This is the updated and reformatted NAFA spreadsheet listing competitive scholarships, opportunities, internships and programs that was contained in the 2007 DC conference handbook.
View the PDF here.
The following awards are all highly competitive and have individual eligibility requirements that should be consulted in order to determine your suitability.
Gilman Scholarship for Study Abroad:
- Award for students with financial need who are studying abroad.
- Award for science, engineering & math students planning research careers.
- Graduate study award for future high school history, government or social studies teachers.
- Award for graduate study in non-English speaking countries outside western Europe.
- Funding for graduate study in the sciences, math and engineering.
- Funding for graduate study in the sciences, math, engineering and some social sciences.
- Various funding opportunities for study and service work abroad.
- Funding for graduate study for permanent residents, naturalized citizens (n.c.) or children of n.c.
- Recognition and small award for exceptional undergraduate students.
Fellowship websites from some other colleges.
Arizona State University: http://students.asu.edu/scholarships
- Scholarship Office including awards listings
- Advice to candidates and lists of scholarships.
- Focuses on study abroad scholarships.
- Scholarship advice and list of search avenues
- Advice on scholarships, graduate study and helpful UK study links.
- Year by year and general scholarship advice plus list of awards.
- Extensive list of scholarships.
- Concise site listing awards and campus contacts.
- List of scholarships and advice and helpful UK sites.
- List of campus resources.
- National Fellowships Adviser list of resources.
- Describes office, lists scholarships, deadlines and advice and campus resources.
- Describes office, lists calendar and awards and provides some advice and links.
- Describes office, lists award winners and scholarships.
- Searchable scholarship database.
- Lists scholarships and calendar, and provides advice.
- Lists scholarships, advice, campus resources and winners.
- Lists campus and national scholarships.
- Gives advice, lists scholarships and provides list of useful scholarship resources.
- Lists funding opportunities.
- List of scholarships
- List of campus and national awards and lots of helpful advice.
Most of these books can be ordered from Amazon.com. Many of these reference books may also be available through Neilson Library and the funding section in the CDO library.
- "Making a Difference: Scholarships for a Better World" features most of the prestigious fellowships as well as others (almost 400 in all) that reward students who are involved in service work, or are pursuing studies that "make a difference." You can read more about it at: http://www.making-a-difference.com/
- The 2002 Hispanic Scholarship Directory
- Funding for United States Study (for international students)
- Dan Cassiday's Worldwide Graduate Scholarship Directory
- Yale Daily News Guide to Fellowships and Grants
- The Black Student's Guide to Scholarships
- Scholarships, grants and prizes 2003 done by Thomson/Peterson's
- The College Board Scholarship Handbook We also have Princeton books. Searching for awards is hard work for everyone because awards are so specialized. Search through the website and the books, put forward the effort to search. Some students give up at this point, but others dive into the website and books and usually come up with at least one award they can apply for.
- Scholarships for Adult Students
- Black Students Guide to Scholarships
- Cash for College
- Dan Cassidy 2001 Scholarship Book
- Cassidy's Worldwide Graduate Scholarships Directory
- College Board Scholarship Handbook 2002
- Financial Aid for Asian Americans
- Funding for United States Study (for international students)
- Good Works: A Guide to Careers in Social Change
- Grad students Complete Ssp Book
- Harvard Guide to Grants
- Hispanic Scholarship Directory 1999
- Hispanic Scholarship Directory 2002
- How to go to College for Free
- Kaplan Scholarships 2002
- Kaplan Scholarships 2003
- Making a Difference
- Making a Difference II
- Peterson's Scholarships, Grants and Prizes 2002
- Peterson's Scholarships, Grants and Prizes 2003
- Peterson's Scholarships, Grants and Prizes CD-Rom 2001
- Peterson's Scholarships, Grants and Prizes CD-Rom (2)
- Scholarship Almanac
- Scholarship Book 2003
- Scholarships for Study in the USA and Canada
- Students' GUIDE to Scholarships, Grants, and Funding Sources in International Education and Other Disciplines
The GUIDE consists of 271 pages (192 more pages than the previous edition). The GUIDE is a useful and comprehensive reference work to obtain information on funding publications, web sites, and grants in international education and other fields of study. Each citation is annotated with a description and appropriate web sites.
The cost is $15.00 for a hard copy and $10.00 for a CD which includes postage and handling. Please send check or money order payable to Michigan State University to:
Michigan State University
Attn: Charles Gliozzo
Office of International Studies and Programs, Rm.4c
Center for International Studies and Programs
East Lansing, Michigan 48824
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Financial Aid for College
- Yale Daily News Guide to Fellowships and Grants
- Yale Guide- Grad Fellowships
- Yale Guide- Grad Fellowships
See here: http://www.scholars4dev.com/.
The College of St. Scholastica McNair Scholars Program has created a database of summer research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. Users are able to refine searches by field and target groups.
You must have Microsoft Access to utilize this database and you must have this page that you are on now open in Internet Explorer.
- Click on the linked file below ("McNair Scholars Program Summer Research Database").
- Select the Save option to download the database.
- Locate the database on your harddrive. Right mouse click (Windows) or ctrl-click (Mac) on the database, select "Properties", and deselect "Read Only" if it is checked. Click "OK" to close window. The file is ready to run.
- Open the file.
- Click on "Run Reports".
- Narrow your search. There are over 140 total entries in this database, but there are two major categories under which you can refine
your search results: "Disciplines" and "Target Groups".
"Disciplines" is a listing of majors, areas of study/research, etc. They are divided into seven broad fields: Business, Communications, Education, Health, Humanities, Science, and Social Science. There are sub-sections under these fields. Select any and all sections and sub-sections that are related to your interest. Choose as many as apply. If you do not select any, you will see all possible entries.
"Target Groups" provides categories such as underrepresented groups, class standing, male/female, etc. Choose as many as apply. If you do not select any, you will see all possible entries.
Note: Do not select anything with "xxxxx" listed before it. These search entries are void but cannot be deleted.
- Once you've highlighted all applicable selections, click "Run Report".
- All of the information will be listed on individual sheets. In the bottom right-hand corner of your first document page, it will list how many total search pages you have.
McNair Scholars Program Summer Research Database Microsoft Access file
These links may or may not be related to fellowships. They are listed here as a service for those seeking study abroad opportunities, either as undergraduates or graduates.
www.studying-in-germany.org/category/scholarships/: Several pages of scholarship and fellowship resources for students seeking to study in Germany. A variety of fields to pursue including arts, humanities, sciences and professional fields.
http://www.mesa.arizona.edu/: Directory of graduate and undergraduate programs & courses in Middle East Studies in the US, Canada and abroad.
www.irex.org: International Research and Exchanges Board: generates both scholarship searches and college searches based on criteria selected by the user.
www.internationalscholarships.com: A financial aid and scholarship resource for international students wishing to study abroad. Comprehensive listing of grants, scholarships, loan programs, and other information to assist students in their pursuit to study abroad.
www.brandeis.edu/uaa/abroad/financial/scholarships.html: Brandeis University's study abroad scholarships page.
http://globalgateway.monster.com/: Lists job opportunities abroad by country.
http://iiepassport.org/: Study abroad program guides, helpful articles, and a database of study abroad funding.
www.vfp.org: Volunteers for Peace, for short-term volunteer work (sometimes only 2 weeks).
www.idealist.org: Search for internships, volunteer opportunities, and jobs abroad.