- "Translation from one language into another...is like gazing at a Flemish tapestry with the wrong side out."
-Cervantes, 16th century
- "Fidelity to meaning alone in translation is a kind of betrayal."
- "Even the simplest word can never be rendered with its exact equivalent into another language."
- "The original is unfaithful to the translation."
-Jorge Luis Borges
- "Translating is writing."
- "The process of translating comprises in its essence the whole secret of human understanding of the world and of social communication."
-Hans Georg Gadamer
- "Traducir es la forma más profunda de leer."
-Gabriel García Márquez
- Translation is not a matter of words only: it is a matter of making intelligible a whole culture.
Five College Center for the Study of World Languages
Are you interested in learning a critical or lesser-taught language [Swahili, Turkish, Farsi, Urdu, among a dozen others]? Would you like to continue studying your heritage language [Hindi, Haitian Creole, modern Greek]? The Five-College Center for the Study of World Languages offers academic-year courses for in up to 40 less-commonly taught languages.
Introduction to Sanskrit course being taught at UMASS, Spring 2017. Read the course description for more information here.
"Literary translation saves us from provincialism." --Maia Evrona. Read more from the NEA Literature Translation Fellow here.