UPDATE YOUR MAC OPERATING SYSTEM
Use the App Store Updates on your Mac for the latest security patches, bug fixes, and software updates from Apple. It is crucial that you keep your operating system current to protect your computer and data from malware and attacks.
Use the App Store: From the desktop click the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen, select App Store, then click Updates.
Automatic updates should be enabled, you should set Software Update to automatically check for and prompt you to install updates as they are released. Make sure to install updates when prompted to do so as they are often released to protect against specific threats and/or prevent potential problems.
Check if your Operating System is Current and Supported by Smith ITS
To check the version of OS X your Mac has, on your Mac desktop click the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen then select About This Mac. Just under OS X it will indicate what version you have.
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan - We recommend you upgrade to the current supported by ITS.
- macOS Sierra 10.12 - Currently supported by ITS and by Apple.
- macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Currently supported by ITS and by Apple.
- macOS Mojave (10.14) - Currently supported by ITS and by Apple
Set Automatic Software Updates
To make sure you keep up-to-date with operating system updates, set Software Update to automatically check for and prompt you to install new critical updates.
- Go to System Preferences then select App Store.
- Select all of the following:
Automatically check for updates
Download newly available updates in the background
Install app updates
Install system data files and security updates
- Your computer will now check for critical updates in the background and, if any are available, download them automatically to your computer.
- Because many updates require restarting your computer to complete the process, the install prompt gives you the chance to close any applications you have running before you begin installing the updates. Make sure to install updates as soon as possible when prompted to do so.