GETTING STARTED WITH YOUR iPAD
NOTE: Click here for Apple's setup instructions for your device.
- Decide which computer you want to be the backup computer for all your iPad apps. This is the computer to which you will sync your iPad. Note that it can be a Mac or PC.
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes (free from Apple) installed on your backup computer. You will use iTunes to search for apps, download free apps, and purchase apps, music, or videos if you wish. iTunes also serves as the interface for backing up and organizing your iPad apps.
To download the latest version of iTunes, go to: www.apple.com/itunes/
- Be prepared to enter credit card information when you set up your iTunes account, even if you plan to download only free apps.
- To create an iTunes account, launch the iTunes program from your computer (not your iPad), then click on the iTunes Store icon in the left hand column.
- The iTunes Store will load. Click on the Sign In button in the upper right corner to begin creating your iTunes account.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to either create a new account or sign into an existing account.
- If you are creating a new account, you will be asked to choose a username and password, choose security questions, and enter billing information so you can make purchases. Apple requires this step even through there are many free apps available for downloading.
- Important: It is up to you to remember the username and password for your iTunes account.
Once you have an iTunes account, you can begin setting up your iPad.
- Plug the connector end of the sync cable into the connector port on the iPad and plug the USB end into your computer. iTunes will launch automatically and begin the setup process.
- On the Let's get started screen, tap Continue.
- On the next screen, you must agree to the license agreement to continue.
- The screens that follow will prompt you to enter your iTunes account information, registration details, and data required for the Find My iPad service. (The Find My iPad service is free and helps locate your iPad if it is lost or stolen.)
- On the Set Up Your iPad screen, indicate whether you are setting up a new iPad or working from a backup. Most users will select New iPad. However, you can also back up apps and files from an iPod Touch or iPhone.
- If you select New iPad, you will be prompted to enter a name for your iPad and a few basic settings.
- For more information about iPad settings or anything else on your iPad, see the iPad user guide. To access the guide:
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- On the Help menu, select iPad user guide.