Office for International Study
Smith Programs Abroad
Smith in Florence
Smith in Geneva
Smith in Hamburg
Smith in Paris
Smith Consortium Programs
Smith-Approved Programs Abroad
Eligibility Requirements
costs & Financial Aid
How to Apply
International Experience Opportunities
Health & safety
For Faculty
For Families
For Students Approved to Study Abroad
For Smith Students Abroad
For Students Returning to Smith
Photo Exhibit
Smith in Hamburg

Related Links

Student Visas

Visas for Studying in Germany

United States, Canadian and EU Citzens

The German government requires students to obtain a Residence Permit (Aufenthaltsgenehmigung) after arrival in Hamburg. During the first meeting of the orientation program, the director and associate director will help students complete the necessary paperwork. A student who enters Germany prior to the official start date of the program may be responsible for obtaining a residence permit herself. Permits normally include permission to work part-time during the semester and full-time during semester vacation.

Citizens of Other Nations

Citizens of other nations are required to apply for and receive a residence permit (Aufenthaltsgenehmigung) through the German Consulate in Boston prior to arrival in Germany. Students should research visa application requirements online and contact the Office for International Study for supporting documentation.