Internship and Community Service Placements
Smith's long-standing relationship with many Florentine and Tuscan organizations has resulted in a wide variety of possible part-time internship and volunteer placement opportunities for students. Serving as an intern or community volunteer is a fantastic way to meet local Italians, understand Italian society and culture, and to offer reciprocal benefits to the community from which you are learning Italian language and culture.
Many of these internships have resulted in research proposals for summer International Experience Grants or prospective Fulbright research proposals.
A sample of recent internship placements includes:
- Florence Family and Juvenile Court
- Uffizi Library
- Children's Library Santa Croce
- Tela di Penelope Consortium (restoration of ancient fabric and leather)
- UNIFI Farmacology/Neuroscience Lab
- Organic Farm La Talea
- Doctors for Human Rights
- Specola Museum of Natural History
- Arcetri Astrophysics Observatory
- Music Room of the National Library
- Archeological Museum in Fiesole
- Vista Magazine
- Golagioconda Slow food Magazine
- Florence Cathedral (Duomo) Choir
- Fiorentina Nuoto (Swim Team)
Pistoia Early Childhood Education Practicum
A limited number of year-long internships are available at the Pistoia Early Childhood Centers for 4 credits. The internship course is graded and requires a presentation and a major research paper. The internship can take the place of a Smith course, but not a university course.