All students interested in studying abroad should seek advice and information about their options. The OIS recommends that students do the following:
- Meet with a Peer Adviser.
- Attend a General Information session held every Monday during the fall semester in the Lewis Global Studies Center at 4:00pm.
- Attend a program-specific information session (when available). See the OIS Home Page for details.
- Discuss their study abroad plans with their academic advisers and departmental study abroad advisers.
When are Peer Advisers available?
- The OIS Peer Advisers are available during Open Hours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 2:00-4:00pm.
- They are also available by appointment. Students can log into SITES to request an appointment.
What can Peer Advisers do?
- Assist students with gathering information about their study abroad options.
- Offer advice about what to consider when selecting a study abroad program.
- Help students navigate the application and post-acceptance processes.
- Provide tips on how to prepare for studying abroad.
- Share their own experiences about studying abroad.
- Refer students to other resources as needed.
Meet the 2016-17 Peer Advisers
Ariel Li '17
Ariel is a Chemistry major from Taiwan. She studied away at Columbia University for fall 2015 and studied abroad at the University of Oxford for spring 2016. Ariel is looking forward to reciprocating the support she received while abroad by helping other Smithies begin their exciting, challenging and enlightening journey. She hopes to work closely with students to find their best-match program and guide them through the study abroad process.
Sarah Reibman '17
Sarah is a French Studies major completing the Five College International Relations certificate. She spent Summer 2015 in Nairobi, Kenya through the Smith College Global Engagement Seminar. Last Fall she studied in Switzerland on the Smith in Geneva program and then she spent the Spring semester in Cameroon with SIT Study Abroad. She is particularly excited to discuss study abroad opportunities and adventures and help the application process run smoothly.
Monica Swartz '17
Monica is majoring in mathematics and studied the sciences and French during her junior year abroad in Paris with the Smith program, Sciences à Paris. After her incredibly positive experience abroad, she is excited to continue to interact with the study abroad community on the Smith campus. Planning a year abroad can be difficult, so Monica aspires to help other students map out their academic requirements and talk about any worries they might have about studying away from Smith.