About the Society
Available Grants
Textbook Assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
Make a Donation
Frequently Asked Questions

Related Link

Do you need to be on financial aid to get SSAS funding?

No, the Smith Students' Aid Society recognizes that with the high cost of tuition many families are stretching to afford higher education. Therefore, we understand that many students who did not receive financial aid could be under financial stress.

Are receipts required with applications for grants?

The answer depends on the grant for which you are applying.

In the case of emergency medical funding, SSAS can often pay the provider directly. In an emergency the student will receive an approval email from Anne White indicating their grant total. The student must bring a copy of the email and a W-9 form to their appointment and the invoice will need to be sent to SSAS. If the student has paid the medical bill, a receipt should be included with the application.

With Beyond Smith grants, students are permitted to supply receipts after approval if they cannot afford to make the purchase without the grant money.

Can seniors apply to Beyond Smith after graduation?

No, all applications for Beyond Smith funding need to be submitted by seniors before they graduate from Smith.

Where should students send thank-you notes for the funding that they have received from SSAS?

Students can send thank-you notes and cards to the attention of Anne White or SSAS at the Helen Hills Hills Chapel. Notes can be addressed to the SSAS Board of Directors. You may also send thank you messages by email to awhite@smith.edu.

All thank-you notes are shared with the board at its regular meetings throughout the academic year.