Smith College is committed to creating an environment open to all individuals without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, national origin/ancestry, religion, sex or gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, genetic information, or veteran status/membership in the uniformed services. The college affirms its commitment by holding all employees responsible for upholding this principle and recognizing their legal obligations under applicable federal and state statutes.
Smith College employees carry out this commitment by:
- Lawfully administering all employment policies;
- Addressing and not tolerating unlawful harassment in the workplace;
- Addressing and not tolerating unprofessional conduct in the workplace.
- Recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting persons in all job classifications, without unlawful regard to age, race, color, national origin/ancestry, religion, sex or gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, genetic information, or veteran status/membership in the uniformed services; and
- Making all employment decisions consistent with the principles underlying equal employment opportunity.
Commitment to Academic Freedom
As an academic institution, teaching, doing research, and learning are subject to the protections of ‘academic freedom’ as described in the college’s policy on academic freedom. Actions or words used in the context of the academic curriculum and teaching environments that serve legitimate and reasonable educational purposes will not be evaluated as harassment or unlawful discrimination because of the principles underlying academic freedom.
Equal Opportunity Policy Complaint Procedure
The college has created the following guidelines and procedures for the resolution of complaints alleging violation of this Equal Opportunity Policy
Policies, Procedures, & Guidelines
Student Conduct & Social Responsibility
Student Government Association
Student Services & Administrative Offices
Where to Find Information
Federal Disclosure Requirements