Applying for a Study Abroad Program
Smith-Approved Program Applications
Applying to study abroad on a program approved for Smith credit is a two-part process:
- You must have Smith approval for your study abroad plans.
- You must be accepted by the program you wish to attend.
To seek approval from Smith College, submit the Study Abroad Credit Application online in the new Smith International Travel Experiences System (SITES).
When applying for Smith study abroad credit approval be sure to:
- Check study abroad eligibility requirements and deadlines.
- Read the Study Abroad Guide (PDF).
- Research program options and decide on a maximum of two possibilities.
- Meet with a Peer Adviser to discuss plans or explore options.
- Confer with academic adviser in your major and the departmental study abroad adviser.
- Submit the 2018-19 Study Abroad Credit Application via the Smith International Travel Experiences System (SITES) by the deadline.
Apply directly to the program(s) you wish to attend, well in advance of program deadlines.
Program/Host University Applications
Students are responsible for the program application process. If you have any questions about the application or program, contact the program directly. Applications often include the following:
- Application form
- Personal statement
- Official transcript
- Letter(s) of recommendation
- "Institutional Approval Form" or "Study Abroad Adviser Approval Form." This form should be completed by Office for International Study staff, not a faculty adviser
- Application fee