Work on a new Neilson Library begins this summer, along with other construction projects on campus.
Groundbreaking on a reimagined library building—the college’s largest capital project in a decade—will take place later this year, with construction expected to last until fall 2020.
Neilson officially closed on May 21. During the renovation project, Young Library will be the main library service point on campus.
Summer library-related construction projects include underground utility work around Neilson Library and continued alterations to other campus buildings to allow for relocation of all occupants of Neilson and Alumnae Gym. The work will involve some level of noise and disruption throughout the summer.
Library-related projects include:
- Closing Neilson Drive between Dewey and Washburn houses from Tuesday, May 30, through Tuesday, June 6.
- Making Neilson Drive one-way for the duration of the library project. After Friday, June 6, through-traffic will be prohibited from Neilson Drive to Green Street. Access to the drive will be from the college’s Elm Street entrance to an exit near College Hall.
- Enlarging the parking lot off of Arnold Avenue near Ford Hall to accommodate spaces lost elsewhere on campus during the library renovation project.
- Creating temporary space for the Center for Media Production and faculty offices in the Henshaw Complex (formerly Friedman Complex) and permanent space for the Kahn Liberal Arts Center in 21 Henshaw Avenue.
- Creating temporary student housing in Parsons House for those displaced by construction activities near Washburn House.
Other summer campus construction projects include:
- Replacement of the softball fields and outdoor track, which will require closing all playing fields through fall 2017. The tennis courts will remain open for use, as will parking near the tennis courts. The field below Hospital Hill and Lamont Bridge will also remain open.
- Construction of a new entryway and an accessible walkway on the slope above the Crew House dance studio on Paradise Pond.
- Repaving of Paradise Road and Dryads Green beginning in June. This project will not require prolonged road closures, but will involve detours for short periods.
A Google map posted on Facilities Management’s website has the latest updates on all summer construction projects at Smith. Users can click on the markers for project details, including timelines, road and parking lot closings and other information.