In case anyone thinks the folks in Information and Technology Services are not diligently performing their jobs, here are a few heroic statistics from the first week of classes that prove otherwise:
- 580,646 Total number of email messages received by Smith computers
- 224,201 Total number of "Spam" message filtered out, representing 39 percent of all messages received
- 99,567 Number of message infected by viruses
- 60 percent Increase in "Spam" messages since last spring
- 5,600 percent Increase in viruses since last spring
"The staff here is doing a remarkable job keeping the viruses to a minimum on campus and keeping our network open," says Herb Nickles, executive director of ITS. "Some campuses have been really hit hard."
Thanks to ITS, Smith computer users log on every day with little or no inconvenience.