By some estimates, nearly 80% of opportunities are found through networking. Building a network of professional relationships is best started before you're seeking an opportunity, even from your first year, and will continue throughout Smith and as an alum.
While it's not appropriate to ask a networking contact for a job, internship, or housing, by connecting with people in your field of interest you can:
- Hear advice on getting started and advancing in a field
- Learn about career-specific resources and get the names of others to talk to
- Find out about opportunities before they're posted
Informational interviews - one-on-one conversations with people whose careers interest you - are a great tool to start building both your career knowledge and your network.
It works! You'll discover most people like talking about themselves and their career paths and offering advice to those starting out.
Smith College Online Alumnae Community
The Office of Alumnae Relations online community lists alums by career, employer, and location which students may access using their home email address. Includes a world-wide directory of Smith Clubs.
NEW: How to Access the Online Alumnae Community
Use the Alumnae Community’s directory to find alumnae who:
Share your major
Are in career fields you are exploring
Work at organizations or companies of interest
- Live in specific cities, states, or countries
To create your Alumnae Community password:
1. Visit http://alumnae.smith.edu, look for the Online Alumnae Community box, and click on RESET PASSWORD or FIND USERNAME.
2. Under the section "I can't remember my username and password", enter your first name, last name, and class year. Choose “Current Student" from the Senior House menu.
3. The username that comes up should be your non-Smith email address. Confirm this is correct and click the "Reset Password" button.
4. You'll receive an email with a link to create a new password. Your password must be at least 8 characters long. Once created, you will be logged into the community.
5. To log into the community in the future, visit http://alumnae.smith.edu/, and click on Log In or Sign Up and enter your username and the password you created.
If the username shown in step 3 refers to an email address that is no longer active, contact the Office of Alumnae Relations at (800) 526-2023, option 4, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Using the Alumnae Community’s Directory:
Use the directory to search for alumnae by name or location, by class year, major, or senior house, or by employment information such as career field, job title, or employer name. The " * " key is a useful wildcard in text searches. For example, search "JP*" if looking for alumnae at JP Morgan Chase, or “art*” if looking for alumnae with job titles that begin with art. Click “Reset” before changing search criteria or entering new search terms.
Other Networking Resources
LinkedIn - The world's largest professional networking site. Join the Smith College LinkedIn group and groups for your field of interest. LinkedIn for Students features videos and quick tip sheets to help you create a great profile, find internships and jobs, and build your LinkedIn network.
Informational Interviewing and the Art of Networking (PDF) - Our guide covering how to prepare for and set up a networking meeting, questions to ask, and follow-up actions.
Lazarus Center Workshops on networking and LinkedIn are offered throughout the semester and J-term.
Need more? Meet with a Lazarus Center career advisor by calling 413-585-2582.