By some estimates, nearly 80% of opportunities are found through networking. Building a network of professional relationships is best started before you're seeking an opportunity, even from your first year, and will continue throughout Smith and as an alum.
While it's not appropriate to ask a networking contact for a job, internship, or housing, by connecting with people in your field of interest you can:
- Hear advice on getting started and advancing in a field
- Learn about career-specific resources and get the names of others to talk to
- Find out about opportunities before they're posted
Informational interviews - one-on-one conversations with people whose careers interest you - are a great tool to start building both your career knowledge and your network.
It works! You'll discover most people like talking about themselves and their career paths and offering advice to those starting out.
Smith College Online Alumnae Community
The Office of Alumnae Relations online community lists alums by career, employer, and location which students may access using their home email address. Includes a world-wide directory of Smith Clubs.
NEW: How to Access the Online Alumnae Community
Use the Alumnae Community’s directory to find alumnae who:
Share your major
Are in career fields you are exploring
Work at organizations or companies of interest
- Live in specific cities, states, or countries
To create your Alumnae Community password:
Visit http://alumnae.smith.edu/, and click on Online Alumnae Community Log in or Sign up.
IMPORTANT: Leave username and password blank. Instead, click on Forgot Your Password?
- In the box for Enter Your Alumnae Community Username, the student should enter your preferred email address as listed in BannerWeb.* This could be your smith.edu address or an email address you used before Smith. After this step, you'll either see an error message, or the system will send you an an email to set a new password.
- After you have set your new password, return to http://alumnae.smith.edu/ and log in.
TIPS: When using the Alumnae Community’s Directory, use the search filters to seek alumnae by name or location, by class year, major, or senior house, or by employment information such as career field, job title, or employer name. The " * " key is a useful wildcard. For example, search "JP*" if looking for alumnae at JP Morgan Chase.
*How to locate your preferred email address in BannerWeb:
- Log in to BannerWeb
- Go to Personal Information Review and Update > Email addresses.
- Click on Add/Update Email.
- One of the listed addresses should have "Preferred" listed after it.
Other Networking Resources
LinkedIn - The world's largest professional networking site. Join the Smith College LinkedIn group and groups for your field of interest. LinkedIn for Students features videos and quick tip sheets to help you create a great profile, find internships and jobs, and build your LinkedIn network.
Informational Interviewing and the Art of Networking (PDF) - Our guide covering how to prepare for and set up a networking meeting, questions to ask, and follow-up actions.
Lazarus Center Workshops on networking and LinkedIn are offered throughout the semester and J-term.
Need more? Meet with a Lazarus Center career advisor by calling 413-585-2582.