About the Office
International Students Preorientation
Travelling to Smith
Life at Smith
Student Employment & Training
News & Events
Submit a Question
For Faculty & Scholars
Travelling to Smith

Obtaining a Student Visa

Students must request an F-1 Visa to enter the United States for the purpose of study at Smith as a full-time student in a degree program. In order to obtain an F-1 student visa, you will first need to make an appointment at the U.S. Embassy or consulate in your country of residence. They will ask for your SEVIS number, which is located on the top right hand corner of your I-20 starting with N000.

Do not use a tourist visa to enter the United States to study at Smith.

Required Documents

When you go to your interview, you will need the following documents with you:


After you have received your visa stamp inside your passport, make sure that you also have the I-20 form returned to you by the U.S. Embassy. You will need the I-20 in order to enter the United States.


Before you arrive in the U.S. and during your flight, you will be asked to complete an I-94 form. Upon arrival to the United States an immigration officer will check your passport and will stamp the I-94 to indicate that you have been lawfully admitted as an F-1 student to the United States. Make sure the I-94 is stapled or attached inside your passport before you leave the immigration area; this form is very important.

Contact Us

If you have any trouble obtaining a student visa, please contact us.