About the Office
International Students Preorientation
Travelling to Smith
Life at Smith
Student Employment & Training
News & Events
Submit a Question
For Faculty & Scholars
Student Employment & Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is an authorization to work (and be paid for) off-campus employment or internships for F-1 students in their major or field of study. Off-campus work is only allowed under certain circumstances. Please check with the ISSO before engaging in any off-campus employment to make sure you have the proper work authorization in place.

International students are eligible for a total of 12 months of standard OPT for each level of their education, which can be used as:

OPT can be granted in various increments of time. However, any OPT used prior to graduation will be deducted from the total 12-months allowed for Post-completion Practical Training. This means that if you used pre-completion OPT during the summer, those months will be deducted from the 12-month total.

You may apply for both types of practical training programs up to 90 days before the end of classes (or graduation). You can apply for post-completion OPT up to 60 days after graduation.

Precompletion Practical Training

This is used rarely, but would be during the annual summer vacation, provided you intend to continue your full-time studies the following semester. This is for students in their first year, sophomore and junior class standings. Generally at Smith, we utilize CPT instead, since it's faster and less costly.

Postcompletion Practical Training

This is available after completion of your studies, for an authorization period of up to one year. This is for seniors, AMS students and graduate students who are completing their degree.

No job offer is necessary at the time of application.

STEM Extension

Students majoring in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields may apply for an additional 24-month extension of their OPT authorization. To check if your major is eligible for this extension, consult USCIS' STEM-eligible list. Note: Economics is not eligible for a STEM extension at Smith. As of Spring 2016, however, Psychology is eligible!

The STEM extention application process is very similar to applying the first time around, but it does require a few extra documents:

For more detailed instructions, see the expandable section below.

Instructions for STEM Extension

You may begin your STEM extension application up to 90 days before the end of your Post-Completion OPT, and must be received by USCIS before your current OPT expires. You may continue to work up to 180 days while waiting for your new STEM-approved EAD card.

Collect your application documents. When you have them all assembled, email ISSO a copy of your I-765, your new employment letter, and your I-983. We will review these documents and mail you a new I-20, extending your employment dates. You must then assemble your application and mail it. USCIS must receive this application within 60 days of when we issue the new I-20.

Required Documents

  • $410 check, made out to US Department of Homeland Security
  • Two passport size color photos (2x2 inches)
  • Tip: LIGHTLY write your name and I-94 number on the back in pencil. Just make sure it doesn't indent the front of your photo!

  • Form I-765 (PDF)

Check off "Renewal of my permission to accept employment".

Question 11: Check "Yes"; USCIS office: You can determine this based on the 3-letter code at the beginning of your EAD Card # (see below); Dates: Your dates of authorization on your EAD; Results: Hopefully "Granted"!

          EAC: Vermont Service Center
          YSC: Potomac Service Center
          WAC: California Service Center
          SRC: Texas Service Center
          LIN: Nebraska Service Center

          Question 16: For STEM extension: (c)(3)(C)

          Question 17: Your employer's E-Verify number should come from their Human Resources or Legal office.

      • Form I-983 (To be submitted to ISSO, but not to be included in final application to USCIS)

      Here's a great resource that USCIS has published for filling out this form: Completing the Form I-983.

      Pages 6 & 7: These are evaluations that should be completed at the 1-year and 2-year marks of your STEM Extension. You do not need to submit them with your STEM Extension application, but you do need to submit them to ISSO when you pass the halfway mark of your 2-year extension, and again at 2 years or whenever you finish your employment with the company, whichever comes first.

      • Copy of signed new STEM I-20 (use blue ink)
      • Copy of current passport photo page
      • Copy of F-1 entry visa page from passport
      • Copy of most recent I-94 (can be printed online!)
      • Copy of current and all previous EAD cards
      • Copy of your Smith transcript showing the STEM major
      • Letter from your employer, indicating new dates of employment
      • Form G-1145 (optional)

Please be sure to attach all papers and forms by a single paperclip to the I-765, which should be on top. Make copies of all documents you submit for travel purposes. See below for mailing instructions.


You will be notified once your application has been received and again when it's approved (8-10 weeks) by USCIS. They will send an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) card directly to your mailing address. Once you have your receipt number from USCIS, you can check the status of your case here.

Reporting Responsibilities

You have reporting responsibilities once you have received your new STEM card and are working in a STEM field.

Important: You must validate your employment every six months from the start date of STEM OPT and until the end of the 17-month STEM extension. Please report the date you started working, as well as the name and address of current employer and your current and residential address to the International Students & Scholars Office. We are required by SEVIS to update your record; failure to report will terminate your OPT STEM status.

You must also submit Pages 6 & 7 of the I-983 to ISSO when you pass the halfway mark of your 2-year extension, and again at 2 years or whenever you finish your employment with the company, whichever comes first.

Please notify the Office for International Students & Scholars, at interstu@smith.edu or through our OPT Google Form, within 10 days of any change of the following:

  • Legal name change
  • Residential or mailing address change
  • Employer name change
  • Employer address change
  • Loss of employment

How to Apply - Make an appointment at ISSO & bring:

You cannot begin to work under an OPT program until you receive the EAD card AND you are within your authorization dates. Once you have been approved for postcompletion OPT, you have 90 days from the start date of your OPT to find a job or find a volunteer position in your field, otherwise your OPT will be cancelled. It is your duty to report your new employer and your most current address to USCIS. Please send us the information and we will update your SEVIS record.

We recommend that you do not leave the United States after graduation, unless you have received the EAD card, have found a job and have a letter employment.

Once you have started working, if you wish to travel outside the United States we will endorse your I-20. Please send your most recent Smith I-20 and a copy of the EAD card to our office for endorsement. We will sign and return the I-20 to you for travel. Remember, you are still under Smith College F-1 visa during your OPT.

Updating Employer and Address Information

In order to maintain your F-1 visa status while completing an OPT program, you must report any employer and/or address changes to the Office for International Students & Scholars within 10 days of the change or move by completing the Employer/Address Update Form.