The DAAD German Academic Exchange Service is for study in GERMANY for a year.
All costs covered.
Command of German and Smith evaluation required.
Begin application SPRING JUNIOR YEAR.
More information about this fellowship should be sought from email@example.com.
Study Scholarship for graduating seniors, recent graduates and graduate students of all disciplines
DAAD stands for Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst: German Academic Exchange Service. It is a private, publicly funded, self-governing organization of higher education institutions in Germany.
- Ten months study &/or research at a German university with the possibility of a one-year extension for students completing a full degree program.
- Applicants are requested to have a well-defined study project that makes a stay in Germany essential. Preference will be given to applicants who have been invited by a faculty member at a German university to study at a particular university department.
- To apply: If you are a graduating senior (last year of undergraduate studies), you must be enrolled full-time at an accredited university at the time of application. Those who have already completed an undergraduate degree do not need to be currently enrolled.
- Applicants in the arts, humanities and social sciences should have a good command of German.
- Not for dentistry, medicine, veterinary medicine or pharmacy.
SPRING JUNIORS BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS
The most advantageous time to register for a fellowship is in the spring, starting mid February. Statistics show that those who register earlier fare far better. The deadline to register for the DAAD is the end of August. Petitions to register later may be considered from students who show exceptional promise to be successful in fellowships competitions
Award includes a €750 monthly stipend, health insurance and a flat rate subsidy for travel costs. In addition, limited funds are available for a rent subsidy and family allowance. This amount is supposed to be enough to support you for 10 months.
for variations in eligibility criteria, suitability and application process.
Present your proposal to a German university faculty member before the European summer vacation and secure an invitation from an institution to study, or conduct research there. Register early Spring Semester of your junior year.
Due date for Fine Arts and Performing Musicians is two weeks earlier.
Applying to study includes plans to enter multi-year degree courses all the way up to a PhD program.
The Daad would cover the first year and then the student could apply either for an extension or for other grants, although additional funding is not guaranteed as this would depend on usual factors such as performance.
The DAAD group of grants is, however, the largest educational scholarship endowment in the world, so future funding should not be a concern.
Applying for a Daad based on entering a degree program still requires that the student obtain the necessary acceptance at a German university, as it does with the one-year research project.
Also see: https://www.smith.edu/fellowships/eligibility.php for further information about eligibility.
WHEN TO BEGIN WHICH BY SCHOOL YEAR
- Juniors Start Application after Spring Break
- See tips on writing an effective resume
- ADD expanded section listing every "public" service, community involvement of any and all kinds.
(POST-)GRADUATE OR UNDERGRADUATE FELLOWSHIP
DOMESTIC & FOREIGN, OR FELLOWSHIPS ABROAD
WHERE IN THE WORLD TO USE
Fellowship to Germany
GPA AND RELATED MINIMUMS
- Cumulative GPA and Related Minimum-Level Academic Requirements
- 3.6 minimum, high academic caliber, virtual German fluency
- (Community involvement, contribution to society, leadership or initiative, all count as much as grade level. Fellowships = character, not intellectualism alone.)
AGE, SCHOOL-YEAR, OTHER RESTRICTIONS
Graduating seniors in application year, any age, German fluency or alumnae up to 2 years after graduating.
DURATION OF FELLOWSHIP, AMOUNT OF AWARD
- $10,000 total is awarded for up to 10 months (October-July).
- The award is split up into several categories: € 677.46 monthly stipend, plus onetime € 255.65 study & research subsidy, € 869.19 to € 1,022.58 airfare lump sum, € 153.38 for excess baggage charges and train travel within Germany, plus health, accident and liability insurance with a German insurer, scholar pays about € 10.23-a-month premium.
CHANCE OF AWARD: ODDS FOR EACH COMPETITION
- Daad low odds, good chance. Ask Don Andrew: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It is recommended that graduating applicants work also with the Career Development Office so that fellowship applications form part of an overall postgraduate planning strategy. Contact them at x2570 or x2582.
HOW SMITHIES HAVE FARED IN COMPETITIONS
4 fellows out of 5 applicants in the 2 years 2002-2003 = 80%.
CRITERIA IN JUDGING CANDIDATES
How the Foundations Evaluate and Rate Candidates, What They Seek in Candidates & How You are Judged, Plus Other Vital Criteria Considered by the Foundations (please also consult the notes in this category section).
Daad's campus rating form contains the following six categories for applicant evaluation:
- Academic &/or professional qualifications, and background preparation (especially in relation to proposed project)
- Plausibility, validity, feasibility, viability of proposed project
- Language qualifications (with special reference to proposed project and to DAAD requirements)
- Evidence of maturity, motivation, and adaptability to a different cultural environment (personal suitability)
- Knowledge of Germany and impression candidate will make in Germany as an American
- General Comments and Overall Concluding Statement
FORMAL APPLICATION YEAR & TIME OF YEAR
Formal Application Year (Fall Term) Seniors
Late Fall Fellowship (due mid- to late November)
J-TERM GRADUATE ELIGIBILITY
- Applications open to seniors graduating the same January that applications are finally due.
- Winners announced the following March.
- First use of fellowship will be about the beginning of the following German fall term in the same calendar year as the announcement.
- Check website &/or email foundation for rule variations, changes before ruling yourself in or out.
LEVEL OF SMITH COLLEGE SPONSORSHIP
Required Level of Smith College Sponsorship Endorsed Evaluation
REAPPLYING FOR FELLOWSHIPS
Can win only once. Can apply again only after not winning.
Confirm your specific situation directly with sponsoring foundation or fellowship administrators. Daad Decided on a case-by-case basis.