BOok of Evidence
The Picker Engineering Program's Bachelor of Science in Engineering Science is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org. The assessment and documentation of student outcomes and their corresponding performance indicators are critical components of a thorough ABET accreditation process.
Starting in the spring of 2014, the Picker Engineering Program redesigned its methodology for the collection and assessment of evidence related to ABET criterion 3 -- student outcomes and their corresponding performance indicators. Specifically, the program moved to a "book of evidence", with the goal of making the assessment process more transparent and student centered.
The student outcomes and corresponding performance indicators are mapped to all of our engineering courses. ABET Outcomes (PDF).
Starting with the class of 2015, B.S. engineering science majors will be issued a notebook referred to as their "book of evidence". The notebook will be owned by the Picker Engineering Program and will be housed within its administrative space. Students will build their book of evidence by identifying meaningful work they have done that meets the individual performance indicators developed by the engineering faculty to assess the program’s ABET student outcomes. For the Class of 2017 and the Class of 2018 completing the book of evidence with a minimum of 28 approved artifacts is a requirement for the Bachelor of Science in Engineering Science major. Some details include:
- Much or all of the evidence will likely come through engineering courses, but any evidence accrued during the undergraduate time is admissible.
- The required artifacts must be graded work. BS students are welcome to submit additional artifacts.
- For work done within a Smith College engineering course, students will be guided by that course’s particular faculty member on the details of submitting the work through the course and having that faculty member sign off on it as meeting a particular performance indicator. Once an engineering faculty member signs off, a copy of the work with the signature should be placed in the student’s book of evidence.
- A performance vector classification is integrated into the evaluation of BOE artifacts. Performance vector information will enhance the assessment of BOEs and support evaluation of the extent to which student outcomes are being attained. An artifact from another Smith department must have the grade on it and will be evaluated by the Picker Engineering ABET Committee. An artifact from an internship or similar experience must come with a signature from the supervisor and will subsequently be evaluated by an engineering faculty member. An artifact from a study abroad/away course is required to be version that has the grade from the abroad/away faculty on it and will be evaluated by the Academic Advisor who approved the course.
- Progress on a BS major's BOE is connected to EGR 410D. BS majors are required to have a minimum of 20 faculty signed artifacts in their BOE by the last day of finals for the fall semester. BS majors are required to have a minimum of 28 faculty signed artifacts in their BOE by the last day of finals of the spring semester.
Students with questions about the process may contact Martin Green, Assistant Director of the Picker Engineering Program, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).