Secondary-Level (Grades 5–12) Requirements
A minimum of 32 semester hours and final course grades of B- or better are required for completion of the M.A.T. degree. Graduate students pursuing Massachusetts Educator Licensure at the elementary level are required to participate in the summer semester.
Professional Teaching Knowledge (Pedagogy) Requirements
- EDC 556s Thinking about Learning (summer)
- EDC 559s Intern Teaching (summer)
- EDC 548 Student Diversity and Classroom Teaching
- EDC 352 Reflective Practice in Secondary Schools
- EDC 559 Clinical Internship (student teaching)
- EDC 552 Perspectives in American Education
- EDC 554 Cognition and Instruction
Subject Matter Knowledge
Students must have an undergraduate major in the liberal arts or sciences.
All candidates must meet subject matter knowledge requirements identified by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Students work with advisers from the department to choose subject matter courses that complete the requirements for subject matter knowledge in the subject/area they seek licensure.
Students complete their teaching practicum in one semester, teaching daily, from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Students are encouraged to take only three courses during their student teaching semester.