About the Department
The Major
The Minor
Study Away
News & Events
majors & Events
What Can I Do With a Major in Economics?

Financial Support for Student Research


The Smith College Department of Economics, through the Ross-Herman/Leonard Committee, has funds available for economics students (major or minor) who wish to pursue activities that will enhance their academic experience in the area of economics.  Senior students are eligible to apply for funding to support projects that will take place in the summer (winter for J-graduates) immediately following their graduation, although priority will be given to continuing students.

Examples of student activities that may be funded include, but are not limited to:


Conferences and seminars that are vocational rather than academic in nature will not be supported nor will funds be granted for summer school fees.  In general, funding will not be provided to support internships: an exception may be made where the committee is satisfied that the completion of an academic research project is a primary component of the internship.  Funding will not be provided for Smith students to act as research assistants for faculty at other academic institutions.

How to Apply

Applications should consist of a description of the event or project in question along with the amount of funds requested and a detailed breakdown of the budget items.  The name of an economics professor who is willing to support the application should also be included.  Conference programs (or a link to the online program) should accompany applications where appropriate.

Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.  Applications for funds should be submitted to:

The Ross-Herman/Leonard Committee
c/o Sherry WIngfield via email
Economics Department Assistant
Wright Hall #225