Academic Prizes
Funding for Students
Course Evaluations
Student Life Resources
Contact Us
Funding for Students


Discretionary Funds by Office

Funds are awarded at the discretion of the office holding them, and questions should be directed to that office.

Some academic departments also have funding to support students' attendance at professional conferences, and you should check with the department before submitting a Student Special Funding Application. Funding is not available for attending political rallies.

Funding Outside the United States

The Office for International Study and the Smith Student Aid Society are the only offices that will fund programs and travel outside the United States.

Ada Comstock Scholars Program

For emergency grants for medical, dental and other unforeseen expenses, email Andrea Rossi-Reder, Dean of the Ada Comstock Scholars.   Also, small grants are available to attend conferences and other opportunities for professional development as well as some textbook assistance for Adas.

Student Financial Services makes one-time grants to Ada Comstock Scholars for unanticipated expenses through the Margaret Crofton Balbach Fund for Ada Comstock Scholars. Costs are not limited to academic year. Funding is not available for anything that has already been covered by financial aid. Click here for application form. Contact sfs@smith.edu for details.

See also Magic Grants for Ada Comstock Scholars.

Archives and Book Studies Concentration

The Rebecca Samay Rosenthal '07 Fund provides support for internships and capstone research for the Archives Concentration. Each recipient of grants from this memorial fund will honor Rebecca Rosenthal's multitalented gifts and extraordinary appreciation of special collections, themselves becoming devoted archivists and librarians in her stead.  For more information about the fund, see the Rosenthal Fund Application or contact Beth Myers, director of special collections, at emyers@smith.edu

Office of Religious and Spiritual Life

Funds for students' personal needs and travel for conferences, retreats and special programs related to religion, ethics or community or public service.

Class Deans

The Rothchild Fund is for family emergencies and occasionally for conferences and special studies projects.

For seniors, the Tomlinson Fund is available for honors projects.

Dean of the College

Funding for co-curricular events and for some expenses associated with Special Studies work, use the Student Funding Application (PDF). Funds are available to help individual students with the cost of attending academic conferences and symposia, particularly events where students are presenting papers, participating on panels, or otherwise taking an active part in the program. Funding is provided for an individual student only once during her time at Smith.

Contingency Funding is available for a variety of things, to allow students to be able to participate fully in college and residence life events. For example, funding is available to help purchase your cap and gown or special Ivy Day clothing.

Help in an emergency: Contingency Funding is used to assist students with emergencies, such as travel home due to the death or illness of an immediate family member. Emergency funding requests are made in person. See Susan Zachary in College Hall 203, ext. 4900.


Office for International Students

Funding for international students for travel, academic textbook expenses, eyeglasses. Individual or group expenses for trips, graduate school applications and testing expenses, winter recess housing, conferences.

Funding for personal and medical expenses while in the United States.

Contact the Associate Dean for International Students and Scholars in the Global Studies Center.

Office for International Study

Funding for January or summer projects that take place internationally, including study, research, service or unpaid internships. Applications due October 15 for January projects and March 15 for summer projects. See Web site for an application form and guidelines.

Office of Multicultural Affairs

Emergency Fund for Women of Color for medical/dental care, eyeglasses, medications and travel for urgent family matters.

Also, funds for student activities that help foster new and innovative ideas or programs related to promoting a diverse campus community. Priority will be given to proposals that involve collaboration between student groups. However, individual students may also apply to fund projects or activities consistent with improving the campus climate for a diverse community.

Individual students use the Student Funding Application (PDF) and student groups use the Student Activities Request for Event Funding form available in the Office of Student Engagement, Campus Center 106.

Smith Students' Aid Society

Student Financial Services

Funding for financial emergencies and textbooks. Funding is only for students on aid, usually high-need students.