Smith College Admission Academics Student Life About Smith news Offices
Controller's Office


Frequently Asked Questions


Question: How often are checks issued?
Answer: Checks are processed once a week on Thursday for mailing on Friday.

Question: How often are Direct Deposits processed?
Answer:  Direct Deposits are processed 2 times per week.

Question: What is the deadline to submit check requests?
Answer: Payment requests are processed on a first-in basis.  Every effort is made to process requests as quickly as possible however there are certain times during the year with unusually high volume where some requests may be delayed a week.  Contact a staff member if a payment requires immediate attention.

Question: I need to reimburse somebody for mileage. What is the rate?
Answer: The College follows the standard mileage allowance for business travel as set by the IRS.  Please refer to the policy section on the Controller’s Office web page.


Question: I think I have an invoice, but I don’t know for sure.
Answer: If the words packing slip, acknowledgement or statement are written somewhere on the document, then it is not an invoice.

Question: Can I use copies of receipts for reimbursements?
Answer: No. Only original receipts are accepted for reimbursements.

Question: What is the difference between an Expense Reimbursement Form and an Accounts Payable Voucher?
Answer: The Expense Reimbursement Form must be used for all business-related travel and entertainment by Smith College faculty, staff and students. All other check requests should be submitted on the Accounts Payable Voucher.

Question: Can I approve a request for reimbursement to a College employee or student?
Answer: The approval signature cannot be that of the person to be reimbursed. The approval signature must always be that of that person’s direct supervisor or higher authority. 

new row new row New row

Question: I have a stamp that was given to me for paying purchase orders. Can I use that or do I have to use the Accounts Payable Voucher?
Answer:  The stamp can be used as long as it includes all the information required on the Accounts Payable Voucher.

new row new row New row
triangl Question: I don’t like your forms. I would like to design my own. Can I do it?
Answer: The forms are designed to include all the information required by the Payroll & Disbursement Office; in a structured format for data entry purposes.  Please consult with the Payroll & Disbursement Staff to discuss reproduced forms.
new row new row New row

Question: I was asked to obtain a Form W-9 for a new vendor, why?
Answer: The Form W-9 is now required for all new vendors to Smith College and for those vendors for whom we do not have the form on file.  Smith College is required to report certain payments to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  This IRS form gathers all the pertinent information we need in order to comply with IRS regulations.  Proper name, address and tax identification number submitted by the vendor ensure that we have the most accurate data in our vendor database.


Accounts Payable

Accounts Payable FAQ

Banner Finance


Financial Statements


Grants Accounting



Staff Directory

Controller's Office


DirectoryCalendarCampus MapVirtual TourContact UsSite A-Z