Teacher Events in November 2015
Teacher Workshop: Art HERstory for High School Audiences
- Tuesday, November 3, 2015
- Museum of Art
- 10–3 PM
Celebrate Election Day by exploring how feminist issues are addressed by artists in Women’s Work: Feminist Art from the Collection. Participate in guided conversations with guest speakers, curators, and museum educators, all modeling age-appropriate strategies for engaging high school students with contemporary art. Curricular materials to support in-gallery and classroom learning will be provided, as well as information on SCMA’s school visit programs with subsidized bus transportation opportunities.
$20 for members; $30 non-members. Cross-curricular teacher teams (art + history + language arts) will receive discounted registration.
Due to the sophisticated content of the exhibition, this workshop is intended for high school teachers.
Pre-registration required by October 30; firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-585-2773
Open House for K–12 Teachers
- Friday, November 13, 2015
- Museum of Art
- 4–7 PM
As we celebrate the completion of a two year comprehensive Gallery Redesign Project, K–12 educators are invited to check out the "New SCMA" and learn about museum resources for visiting with classes as well as supporting classroom learning.
FREE. No RSVP necessary. Books for the first 20 teachers who check in at the information table. Email email@example.com for more information.
Schedule of Activities
- 4-6 PM In the Atrium, enjoy light refreshment and take part in a hands-on artmaking activity inspired by Chuck Close's Lyle, on view in our new participatory learning space Talk Back: Art in Conversation.
- 5:00-5:30 PM SCMA's student museum educators will engage teachers in interactive object-based learning activities around selected objects on the Third Floor galleries.
- 5:30-6:30 PM Over cider donuts and coffee, chat with SCMA's Associate Educator for School and Family Programs about opportunities for K-12 school visits, our bus subsidy program, educator memberships and upcoming teacher programs, including information about joining our teacher advisory board in 2016.
- 6:00-6:30 PM Experience our inquiry-based model for learning about art objects by taking part in an Open Eyes program in the new Christ Gallery for Asian Art, lead by SCMA Post-Baccalaureate Fellow in Education.