Checklists for Individuals & Group Leaders
For Individual Travelers
Smith College requires all Smith students participating in college-sponsored international travel to complete a Mandatory Travel Registry.
We recommend that all individual travelers use this planning checklist to prepare for their travel:
For Group Leaders
All students, faculty and staff who are leading college-sponsored travel are required to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Ensure approval and funding for your travel program from the appropriate department.
- Ensure that all college travel requirements are met before travel takes place.
- Submit the Planning Checklist and Travel Documentation form, which includes the itinerary, group roster, and emergency management plan, at least one week in advance of the trip.
- Provide predeparture information about the trip and travel logistics to participants, the sponsoring department and the Lewis Global Studies Center.
- Follow college protocol for student supervision, travel logistics, budgeting and all documentation including expense reports.
- Serve as emergency response and crisis management liaison with Smith College in the event of an emergency.
See the trip planning checklist for group leaders:
Completing the Checklist
Most international travel requires a passport. Some destinations specify that your passport must not expire within six months of your travel dates, so check your passport expiration date.
The government of your destination country (or countries) will determine what type of visa is required based on your citizenship, your purpose for travel, and your length of stay.
International students must also understand their U.S. visa so that they may return to Smith College.
For more information on passports and visas, U.S. citizens should consult the U.S. State Department International Travel Information. International students must consult the consulate of country they plan to visit for its visa requirements as well as the Smith College Office for International Students and Scholars for information on their U.S. visa.
Contact your primary health insurance provider to determine what, if any, international coverage is provided. If you need additional insurance, you may consider Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk Study Abroad Accident & Sickness Insurance, or a similar plan.
Emergency Medical Information and Evacuation
All international travel sponsored by Smith College is covered by AIG/Travel Assist. It is your responsibility to print a membership card or obtain one from Smith College. Your AIG membership number: 9125324
For more information on insurance, including AIG/Travel Assist, consult the Five College Risk Management International Travel website.
U.S. State Department Information
- U.S. State Department international travel information.
- Smith College Travel Warning Policy.
- U.S. State Department Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). (U.S. citizens only)
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization
- To determine if your medications are legal and available in your destination(s), consult AIG/Travel Assist.
- 1-877-244-6871(U.S. & Canada)
- 1-715-346-0859 (Overseas collect)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Policy holder: Five Colleges, Inc.
- Policy number: GTP 9144090