Facilities & Resources
Studios and Labs
Art students at Smith take courses in architecture, book arts, digital media, drawing, installation, painting, photography, printmaking and sculpture. Our facilities feature:
- Digital production and interactive media capabilities on classroom workstations, in the Visual Communications Resource Center and in our modular digital classroom
- The Imaging Center specializes in 2D and 3D imaging and printing. By offering cutting-edge technology and expert consulting, the Imaging Center is a key resource for student and faculty projects that require sophisticated visual media, including interactive and multimedia content creation.
- Typography and book arts studio devoted to traditional letterpress on Vandercook presses
- Darkrooms for 35mm, medium and large-format black-and-white photography
- Printmaking studio that supports offset and direct press lithography, etching, monotype and relief printing
- Sculpture studio with bronze-casting facility
- Private studio spaces for senior studio art majors
The Jannotta Gallery showcases student artwork throughout the academic year, concluding with multiple exhibitions by senior studio art and architecture majors.
The Oresman Gallery is an exhibition space within the Smith College Department of Art that is dedicated to showing recent work by professional artists.