Smith College today announced the appointment of James W. Gray as associate vice president for facilities and operations.
The Grécourt Gate welcomes your submissions. To discuss a story idea of interest to the Smith community, contact Barbara Solow at 413-585-2171 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Smith eDigest is sent to all campus email accounts on Tuesday and Thursday each week during the academic year and on Tuesdays during the summer. Items for eDigest are limited to official Smith business and must be submitted by 5 p.m. on the day prior to the next edition’s distribution.
Smith Bids Farewell to 14 Retiring Faculty Members
At an event earlier this month in the Campus Center Carroll Room, President Kathleen McCartney thanked this year’s faculty retirees for their nearly 500 years of combined service to the college.
Faculty members retiring in 2017-18 are:
- Dwight Pogue, professor of art
- Maria Nemcová Banerjee, professor of comparative literature
- Craig Felton, professor of art
- Elliot Fratkin, Gwendolen Carter Chair in African Studies and Professor of Anthropology
- Patricia González, senior lecturer in Spanish and Portuguese
- James Henle, Myra M. Sampson Professor of Mathematics and Statistics
- James Johnson, professor of exercise and sport studies
- Jocelyne Kolb, professor of German studies
- Robert Merritt, professor of biological sciences
- William Oram, Helen Means Chair of English Language and Literature
- David Palmer, senior lecturer in psychology
- Alfonso Procaccini, professor of Italian studies
- Phebe Sessions, professor of social work
- Karen Smith Emerson, Elsie Irwin Sweeney Professor of Music