Read Smith’s UPDATED plans as of August 5, 2020,
for an entirely remote fall 2020 semester.
International Exchange Student Program
Smith College maintains formal exchange agreements with a select group of international higher education institutions. Through these agreements, Smith welcomes a handful of international visiting undergraduate students to campus for a semester or for a full academic year, and Smith students benefit from unique study abroad experiences at our partner institutions.
Application & Nomination Process
Obtaining a Nomination
Students studying at one of Smith College’s partner schools who wish to come to Smith College through an international exchange program must be nominated by the international office at their home institution.
- By March 31 for fall entry
- By September 30 for spring entry
ProcessExchange coordinators at partner institutions may nominate students by submitting the Smith College International Exchange Nomination Form (click on the button below) to Nathan Hammond.
INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE NOMINATION FORM
Application Process for Nominated Students
What You Need To Apply
In order to submit this application, you should have the following documents ready and prepared to upload:
- Visiting Student Candidate Adviser’s/Dean’s/Registrar’s Recommendation Form
- Language Background Form
- A copy of your official transcript
- TOEFL or IELTS English Test Score Report*
- *English test score report is not required for students whose primary language of instruction at their home institution is English.
- A scan of the photo page of your passport
- 500-word (maximum) Personal Statement
- This should briefly explain your reasons for wishing to be a visiting student at Smith College and how your time at Smith will forward your educational and personal goals.
J-1 Exchange Visitor Program
Smith College has been designated by the Department of State and USIA as a sponsor of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. The purpose of this program is to promote international education exchanges and collaboration among universities around the world.
You must complete the Certification of Finances before Smith can send a DS-2019. The DS-2019 is a document that allows you to obtain a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa and enter the United States. The Certification of Finances, and applicable instructions, will be sent to you once you have been accepted to Smith.