Corporate & Foundation Relations
News and Announcements
New Grant from the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation
Michael Barresi, professor of biological sciences, has been awarded a $1.2 million grant from the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation to support research using advanced light-sheet microscopy tools and interdisciplinary data sciences collaborations. Smith is one of eight institutions to receive the grant, which aims to increase access by scientists to state-of-the-art instruments. Barresi and Smith co-researchers Nathan Derr, associate professor of biological sciences, and Ben Baumer, associate professor of statistical and data sciences, will collaborate with Five College students across disciplines, and with some 20 laboratories in the Pioneer Valley. The light-sheet microscope and computing power are one-of-a-kind in the region and have the potential to serve as a future nexus of innovation.
Grants & Sponsored Research Address
Please note that the team members for Grants & Sponsored Research are all now located at 76 Elm Street.
External Grants Awarded
Learn about external grants awarded for the 2019-20 academic year.
Discover How the Grants Office Can Help You
The Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR) pursues institutional and faculty grants to support Smith's academic priorities and initiatives. The CFR team also works with faculty on identifying external research grant opportunities. We help Smith develop and strengthen beneficial partnerships with foundations, corporations and government agencies that share an interest in advancing education. These partnerships assist corporations and foundations in fulfilling their missions while advancing the goals of the college. Thanks to these partnerships, Smith continues to be an educational leader across a wide academic spectrum.
- Proposal writing (you will always be the expert on what information is presented, but often we can help strengthen your grant with suggestions on framing and organization)
- Proofreading, editing and providing feedback on draft proposals
- Helping develop a project evaluation plan
- Assisting with electronic submissions of grant applications
- Connecting people on campus to others who may be able to serve as a resource (e.g., we may know of a faculty person who has reviewed for the agency to which you are applying)
- Photocopying grant application components and submitting proposals
- Serving as a liaison to authorized institutional officials and the Sponsored Research Office
The Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations regularly publishes a newsletter to highlight upcoming opportunities and deadlines in the humanities, sciences and social sciences.