Day-of-Conference Information & Tools
Facing our challenges together
- Examining racism and anti-blackness as a community
- Exploring issues of class, rank and elitism
- Exploring intersecting issues of gender, ability, sexual identity, nationality, religion and other social identities
- Identifying structural and interpersonal barriers to equity and inclusion at Smith
Recognizing our strengths
- Showcasing current campus inclusion and equity initiatives, best practices and projects
- Convening talents, skills and resources and building a network of social change agents
- Strengthening our bonds; developing deeper empathy and embracing differences
- Providing opportunities for intergroup dialogues
- Affirming restorative affinity spaces and opportunities for intragroup learning
Working in accountable solidarity
- Developing skills for effective solidarity and allyship across difference
- Nurturing intersectional organizing and coalition building
- Doing the personal work to unlearn oppressive beliefs and biases
- Showing our care and love for each other by doing the hard work to make Smith better
- Acknowledging and working to mend the wounds that exist in our community
- Working to transform the structures and behaviors that cause harm
- Showing up for one another and taking responsibility for creating a true community of belonging
Dreaming big and taking action
- Assessing campus needs, challenges and assets and building our future
- Envisioning and planning for sustainable campus change
- Honoring the joy that comes from forging authentic relationships across difference and working together toward justice and liberation
Listening resonance stems that can be used throughout Inclusion in Action:
- I was impacted when you said...
- It really landed with me when you said...
- I felt connected to you when you said...
- I was moved when you described...
- I was right there with you when you said...
- I was inspired when you shared...