Skip Navigation

Discretionary Funds by Office

Most funding applications are made using the Universal Conference Fund Application Form which can be found on the Smith Social Network. Please note that this form is taken off-line during the breaks, and will be made available again at the start of each semester. (You must be logged into the Smith Social Network in order for this link to take you directly to the form.)  Applications must be submitted by Monday at 5 pm to be reviewed the week they were submitted. All funding offices will review the online applications by Friday for relevance to their funds. Late applications will be saved for the next review cycle. All comments and decisions regarding the application will be posted to the comments section of the application, so please make sure your notifications are turned on so you are notified. 

Final applications for academic year funding must be received by Monday, April 27, 2020, after which date the application form will no longer be available. Applications for summer funding after the April 27, 2020 deadline should be sent as an email request directly to Susan Zachary in the Dean of the College's Office.

Funds are awarded at the discretion of the office holding them.

Some academic departments also have funding to support students' attendance at professional conferences, and you should check with the department before submitting a Student Special Funding Application. Funding is not available for attending political rallies.

Funding Outside the United States

The Office for International Study, the Smith Students’ Aid Society, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and the Student Government Association are the only offices that will fund programs and travel outside the United States.

Available Funds

These funds are for Ada Comstock Scholars only. 

For emergency grants for medical, dental and other unforeseen expenses, email Andrea Rossi-Reder, Dean of the Ada Comstock Scholars. In addition, small grants are available to attend conferences and other opportunities for professional development as well as some textbook assistance for Adas.

Student Financial Services will consider one-time grants to Ada Comstock Scholars for unanticipated expenses through the Margaret Crofton Balbach Fund for Ada Comstock Scholars. Costs are not limited to academic year. Funding is not available for anything that has already been covered by financial aid. Download the application form. Contact for details.

See also Magic Grants for Ada Comstock Scholars.

The Rebecca Samay Rosenthal '07 Fund provides support for internships and capstone research for the Archives Concentration. Each recipient of grants from this memorial fund will honor Rebecca Rosenthal's multitalented gifts and extraordinary appreciation of special collections, themselves becoming devoted archivists and librarians in her stead.  For more information about the fund visit Funds for Research on the Smith Libraries webpage, or contact Beth Myers, director of special collections, at

Travel for conferences, retreats and special programs related to religion, ethics or community or public service. Use the Universal Conference Fund Form.

The Jill Ker Conway Innovation and Entrepreneurship Center is pleased to announce the pilot of a Student Project Scholarship Fund. The fund will support students interested in supplementing their entrepreneurial or business education course studies or furthering the development of exploration and experimentation with a value creation entity. Scholarships can be used for research projects, business venture support, course-related activity or conference attendance. Note: students who need internship support should apply for Praxis summer internship funding through the Lazarus Center.

The Rothchild Fund is for family emergencies and occasionally for conferences and special studies projects.  Speak with Senior Class Dean’s office for information.

Funds are available to help students with the cost of attending academic conferences and symposia, particularly events where students are presenting papers, participating on panels, or otherwise taking an active part in the program. Use the Universal Conference Fund Form.

Contingency Funding is available to allow students to be able to participate fully in college and residence life events. For example, funding is available to help purchase your cap and gown or special Ivy Day clothing.

Help in an emergency: Limited funding is available to assist students with unexpected expenses, such as travel home due to the death or illness of an immediate family member. Emergency funding requests are made in person. See Susan Zachary in College Hall 203, ext. 4900.

Funding for international students for travel, academic textbook expenses, eyeglasses. Individual or group expenses for trips, graduate school applications and testing expenses, winter recess housing, conferences.

Funding for personal and medical expenses while in the United States.

Contact the Associate Dean for International Students and Scholars in the Global Studies Center.

Funding for January or summer projects that take place internationally, including study, research, service or unpaid internships. Applications due October 15 for January projects and March 15 for summer projects. Visit the website for an application form and guidelines.

The Emergency Fund for Women of Color is available for medical/dental care, eyeglasses, medications and travel for urgent family matters.

Also, funds for student activities that help foster new and innovative ideas or programs related to promoting a diverse campus community. Priority will be given to proposals that involve collaboration between student groups. However, individual students may also apply to fund projects or activities consistent with improving the campus climate for a diverse community. Individual students use the Universal Conference Fund Form and student groups use the Student Activities Request for Event Funding form available in the Office of Student Engagement, Campus Center 106.

Funding for financial emergencies and textbooks. Funding is only for students on aid, usually high-need students.