For Seniors & Families
Smith’s next Commencements will be held Sunday, May 17, 2020; Sunday, May 16, 2021; and Sunday, May 15, 2022.
In order for us to ensure that we pronounce your name correctly during Commencement activities, all seniors will receive an email from NameCoach with a unique link that will allow you to log in and record your name. It is important that you do this in advance to assist us in reading names correctly during the ceremony. If you need technical assistance with NameCoach, please send an email to email@example.com.
Seniors are required to wear academic regalia at Rally Day and Commencement. The Smith College bookstore and the University Cap & Gown Company host an academic regalia fair in early February to purchase regalia as well as other graduation products. Regalia can be purchased for $60 at the fair; the price, which covers a cap, gown, hood and tassels, must be paid in full.
The 2020 regalia fair will be held Wednesday and Thursday, February 5 and 6, 10 a.m.–4 p.m. in the bookstore.
Seniors are encouraged to pre-order regalia online before the fair in February to ensure receiving the correct size. Pre-orders at the University Cap & Gown website open in mid-November and close in late January. Regalia will be available at the bookstore during normal business hours after online ordering has closed.
Students receiving financial aid have the option of participating in the Regalia Loan Program lottery offered through SGA. All students will be invited to enter the lottery in January and notified as to whether or not they have received regalia before the regalia fair in early February. Only students who receive Smith aid and are verified through Student Financial Services will be eligible to receive regalia through the lottery. Questions regarding the lottery should be directed to the SGA Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Madeleine is published in the fall and a copy will be mailed to graduates at their parent’s home address in mid-October. Additional copies of the book or past books may be purchased through the Office of Student Engagement for $50 each.
Seniors who wish to have their portrait included in the book must have their photo taken through Prestige Portraits, per the organization's contract. Senior portrait sessions are scheduled the prior spring for students who will be abroad in the fall, throughout September and October and a final make-up session in February. Students will be contacted by email with dates to sign up, and can contact Prestige directly at 800-426-9533, ext. 169, with questions.
- The Senior Class panoramic photograph is taken after the Ivy Day and Commencement Rehearsal on Friday morning.
- A photographer from GradImages will be at the Commencement ceremony to take candid photographs of each graduate receiving the diploma. Graduates will receive a free passport-sized digital proof of this photo on an order card within 5-7 days following the ceremony.
- Questions may be emailed to email@example.com.
- After the ceremony you may order online at www.gradimages.com or call 800-261-2576.
- Since photographs will be available, family members and guests are encouraged to remain in their seats, relax and enjoy the ceremony.
- Prior to the ceremony: To pre-register your permanent email address, please visit www.gradimages.com and click on Pre-Event Registration. You may add contact information for up to six additional relatives and/or friends.
- GradImages never has and never will sell or share the address/email information provided to us.
The Commencement Group provides Smith graduates, their families and guests the opportunity to purchase bouquets to share with others during Commencement. Flowers may be purchased at the ceremony, at the entrance to the Quadrangle on Paradise Road, or you may place your advance order by visiting the Commencement Group website.