Academics & Research
- Several majors and minors in the sciences lend themselves to studying different aspects of Oceania. Students interested in biological sciences, environmental science and policy, geology, public policy and sociology will find Smith faculty in various disciplines who teach and do research focusing on this area of the world.
- Courses taught at Smith in evolutionary biology, marine ecology, plant ecology, biogeography, conservation biology and environmental science and policy prepare students for further study, research or internships available on study abroad programs in Australia or New Zealand.
- Five College Certificate in Asian/Pacific/American Studies.
- Library link to news and research on Oceania
Smith Approved Study Abroad Programs
- Study abroad in Australia and New Zealand is particularly relevant for students interested in pursuing research in environmental science and policy, sustainability, natural and cultural ecology, marine ecology or biological sciences. David L. Smith, director of the Environmental Science and Policy Program, recently visited a number of program sites in Australia and recommends the following:
School for Field Studies (SFS), Tropical Rainforest Studies Program, Yungaburra, Queensland
School of Geography and Environmental Studies, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania. The University of Tasmania is uniquely positioned for students who wish to study Antarctica and the ecological and climatological importance of the Southern Ocean.
School for International Training (SIT) Study Abroad, Natural and Cultural Ecology Program, Cairns, Queensland
School for International Training (SIT) Study Abroad, Sustainability and the Environment Program, Byron Bay, New South Wales
Consult with the Office for International Study to find the program that best meets your academic needs.
Fellowships & Funds
Funds available worldwide (not region-specific):
- Calkins International Research Fund
- Class of 1983 Developing World Fund
- McCallum Fund
- Neville Fund
- Wilder Fund
These funds are administered by the Office for International Study through International Experience Grants (IEG). Grant proposals will be reviewed for eligibility from all funding sources available for IEGs.
For fellowships and funding opportunity to study in Oceania, see the Fellowships Program for Fellowships Sponsored by Smith. In particular see the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship. In addition, consult the Funding for Study Abroad administered by the Office for International Study.