Academics & Research
- A major and minor in Jewish Studies are offered by the Program in Jewish Studies and a minor in Middle East Studies is offered by the Program in Middle East Studies.
- Beginning and intermediate classes in Arabic and in modern Hebrew.
- Faculty teach in a range of disciplines, with specialties in art history, comparative literature, economics, government, history, and religion.
- Five College Certificate in Middle Eastern Studies.
- A number of Middle Eastern languages (Persian, Turkish) are offered through the Mentored Language Program organized by the Five College Center for the Study of World Languages.
- Library link to news and research on the Middle East
Smith Approved Study Abroad Programs
- See the Office for International Studies for Smith approved programs in Israel for the study of Hebrew, environmental science, engineering, religion and history.
- Consult with the Office for International Studies for Smith approved programs in Jordan for the study of Arabic and in Morocco for Migration Studies and the study of Culture and Society.
Fellowships & Funds
- Leila Wilson ('34) Endowed Gift: Supporting students who are planning to study one of the languages of the Middle East and North Africa (e.g. Arabic, Hebrew, Turkish, Farsi, Berber) during summer session. The fund is administered by the Middle East Studies Committee.
- Sylvia Josephs Berger ('24) Fund: Supports students who wish to study in Israel. Funds are available for projects such as intensive summer Hebrew language study, summer courses at Israeli universities, thesis research, and service and internship opportunities. This fund is administered by the Department of Jewish Studies.
Funds available worldwide (not region-specific):
- Calkins International Research Fund
- Class of 1983 Developing World Fund
- McCallum Fund
- Neville Fund
- Wilder Fund
These funds are administered by the Office for International Study through International Experience Grants (IEG). Grant proposals will be reviewed for eligibility from all funding sources available for IEGs.
For additional fellowships and funds to study in the Middle East, see the Fellowships Program for Fellowships Sponsored by Smith. In particular see the Boren Fellowship and the National Language Flagship Program. In addition, consult the Funding for Study Abroad administered by the Office for International Study.
Student Groups & Organizations