Academics & Research
- Majors and minors in Spanish, Portuguese-Brazilian studies and Latin American area studies are offered by the Spanish and Portuguese department and the Latin American and Latino/a Studies program.
- Beginning, intermediate and advanced language classes in Spanish and in Portuguese.
- Faculty teach in a range of disciplines, with Latin American specialties in language and literature, anthropology, art history, comparative literature, economics, government, history, sociology, biological sciences, environmental science and policy, geology and engineering.
- Center for Amazonian Literature and Culture (CALC).
- Five College programs include the Five College Certificate in Latin American Studies (FCLAS) and the Center for Crossroads in the Study of the Americas (CISA), which holds an annual student research symposium every spring.
- Special Programs for student-faculty collaborative research or internships.
- Library link to news and research on Latin America.
Smith Consortial and Approved Study-Abroad Programs
- Mexico: study in Puebla with the Program for Mexican Culture and Society in Puebla (PMCSP), the Smith College Consortial Program in Mexico. Students spend a semester or an academic year living with a host family and studying on the campus of Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla (BUAP).
- To find the approved program in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic or Ecuador that best matches your academic needs, consult the Office for International Study.
Fellowships and Funds
Funds available worldwide (not region-specific):
- Calkins International Research Fund
- Class of 1983 Developing World Fund
- McCallum Fund
- Neville Fund
- Wilder Fund
These funds are administered by the Office for International Study through International Experience Grants (IEG). Grant proposals will be reviewed for eligibility from all funding sources available for IEGs.
For fellowships and funds to study in Latin American countries, see Fellowships Program for Fellowships Sponsored by Smith. In particular see the Boren Fellowship for Portuguese and the Global Leaders program. In addition, consult the Funding for Study Abroad and the International Experience Grants administered by the Office for International Study.