The Lewis Global Studies Center "Global Encounters Photo Contest and Exhibit" provides a venue for Smith students to share their global experiences with the Smith community.
All Smith students are encourage to submit a photo depicting a global encounter that they experienced abroad or within the United States.
Submission deadline: Monday, October 6, 2014
See all submitted photographs and vote for your favorite photos by Thursday, October 30 at 5:00 p.m.
Winning photographs will be on display in Wright Hall November 10-21, 2014, and a reception will be held on Friday, November 21 at 3:00 p.m.
Each student may submit up to two photos; each photo must be for a different category.
- Up Close: Close-up images of a specific person or thing. (Micro view)
- From Afar: Expansive views of a place or culture. (Macro view)
- Learning moments: Social interaction between cultures or of the photographer's own immersion in a cultural context. Images that reflect "aha!" moments of discovery.
- Daily Life: Everyday moments in which one experiences culture and environment or simply the active participation in educational activities such as field work, discussion or reflection.
- Cultural oppositions: A view of two or more distinct cultures shown in relationship to each other.
How to Submit
Digital photos of up to 10 inches in longest dimension, at 300dpi can be submitted. Winning photos will be printed (roughly 8" x 10") and displayed for the exhibit.
Save photos with a file name in this format: Country_Lastname_Firstname_class year.jpg (Kenya_Jones_Ann_12.jpg) and e-mail the high resolution digital photo files to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the text of your e-mail, include the following:
- Your name
- Class year
- Location of the image
- Category/categories to which you are submitting your photo(s)
- If you were participating in a college sponsored activity, include this information (i.e. study abroad, Praxis, Rhythm Nations, international experience grant, etc.)
- Brief artist statement about the photo
You will also need to include this sentence in the body of your email:
"I ____(type your full name here)___ give permission for Smith College Lewis Global Studies Center to use my photographs for promotional purposes in print and web materials."
Contest and Judging
The photo contest will take place online. All valid entries will be displayed digitally on the Lewis Global Study Center Facebook page beginning on October 20.
The public may vote for a Viewer's Choice photo by "liking" the photo.
A panel of Smith experts in photography, visual anthropology and global culture will be invited to participate in a juried review of the contest submissions and will provide commentary on notable photos and techniques of the photos.
The intent of this juried review is to demonstrate the multiple perspectives on the impact of photographic images as well as the different disciplinary appreciations of photography as cultural documentation, aesthetic representation and student engagement.
Exhibit and Reception
Winning photographs will be display in front of the Lewis Global Studies Center in Wright Hall November 10 - 21, 2014.
A reception will be held during this time. At the reception photo contest jurors will share their views on the submitted photos and comment on why they chose the photos they deemed notable and of honorable mention.