Rules and eligibility 2015
This competition is open to any undergraduate student who is currently-matriculating at Smith College or currently enrolled in a degree program at one of the invited colleges or universities ("Eligible Student"). Click here for updated list of invited institutions.
Graduate students and non-students may be members of the venture's management team and may participate in planning the venture. However, only Eligible Students may participate in the Trade Show Expo or oral presentation on Competition Day.
Each team must have at least one Eligible Student who will serve as the team leader ("Team Leader") and lead presenter on Competition Day.
The Team leader must have played a significant role in conceiving the venture and be a currently matriculating undergraduate:
- student at Smith College or
- student at one of the invited women's colleges or
- female student at one of the other invited colleges and universities
There are no restrictions on the number of team members. A solo venture submitted by an individual Eligible Student constitutes a team. Eligible Students may participate on more than one team and/or submit more than one proposal.
The competition is for new, independent ventures in the seed, start-up, or early growth stages. An existing business is eligible only if, as of 11:59 p.m. on December 31, 2014, it has received less than $25,000 in funding and has earned less than $100,000 in gross revenue.
Each team MUST have, and provide contact information for, a faculty adviser at their school. Faculty advisers are not required to be present at Smith College on Competition Day.
How to Enter
- The Team Leader must send an email of the team's Intent to Participate to email@example.com by the March 2, 2015 deadline. The following information will need to be provided
- Team and venture information
- Include name of business and name(s) of all venture members
- Home institution name
- Name and contact information for faculty sponsor
- Full online application must be completed by the Team Leader by the March 23, 2015 deadline. The completed application must be accompanied by a PDF of the Business Plan and Executive Summary.
- A selection committee will evaluate written applications and complete a scorecard for each team.
- The top teams will receive feedback and will advance to the Semi-Final round where they are expected to participate in the 2015 Draper Trade Show Expo held on Competition Day.
- Semi-Finalists must confirm participation in the Trade Show Expo by Monday, March 30, 2015. The last day for a Semi-Finalist team to withdraw from the Competition is Sunday, April 6, 2015.
- Note: If a confirmed team withdraws after the deadline, the Team Leader's school will be ineligible to participate in future Draper Undergraduate Women Entrepreneurs Competitions for up to two years.
- At least ten (10) Semi-Finalist teams will be named Finalists.
- The top five (5) ranked Semi-Finalists automatically advance to the Finals.
- At least five (5) Finalist teams will be chosen by the 90-second pitch to, and Q&A session with, a distinguished panel of Judges on Competition Day.
- All Finalists will deliver oral presentations in the form of a 90-second business pitch to, and Q&A session with, a distinguished panel of Judges on Competition Day.
- The top three (3) prizes will be awarded by the Judges based on teh combined scores on teams' written materials, Trade Show booths and oral presentations on Competition Day.
- Any team deemed to be using Elligible students from Smith College or one of the other colleges or universities primarily as a means to participate in the competition will be disqualified.
- Any team who intentionally initiates contact with any Judge prior to Competition Day will be automatically disqualified from the competition.
$10,000 and up to three full scholarships for Eligible Students to The Draper University of Heroes, San Mateo, CA campus boarding program.
Up to $7,500 and up to three course scholarships for Eligible Students to The Draper University of Heroes online curriculum.
Up to $5,000
NOTE: All winning teams and prize amounts are solely determined by the Competition Judges.
NOTE: Prize money will be disbursed in accordance with Smith College policies and will be subject to state and federal taxes. All prize winners will need to complete and return appropriate tax documents provided by the Smith College Controller's Office in order to receive funds. Graduate student and non-student venture members are not eligible to receive any prizes.
NOTE: All scholarships to The Draper University of Heroes will be arranged directly with Draper University. The Draper campus boarding program only admits students ages 18–28. Eligible Students outside of this age range do not qualify for Draper University campus boarding scholarships.
- The Competition Organizers reserve the right to disqualify any entry/team at any time that, in its judgement, violates the letter or spirit of the Competition.
- Smith College and the Competition Organizers assume no responsibility to ensure the confidentiality of any information disclosed by teams during the public competition.
- Smith College and the Competition Organizers assume no responsibility to ensure the confidentiality of any information disclosed by teams before, during, or after the competition.
- Applications submitted to the Competition are considered PUBLIC. The documents may be shared with Judges, advisors, future students, posted on websites, used for marketing purposes, etc. Participating teams should therefore ensure that their documentation does not contain secret or proprietary information.
- Participants agree to be photographed and recorded and allow Smith College free use of these images as well asa summary description of all executive summaries.
- All decisions regarding the competition rules, procedures, and processes are at the sole discretion of the Competition organizers.
- The selection of the teams to compete on Competition Day and the selection of the winners are at the sole discretion of the Judges and the Competition Organizers.