There are ways to manage your stress level in college that are helpful once you graduate as well. Some short term ways to handle stress are simple and fast!
- Make a list of reasons to be happy or what you are grateful for in that moment.
- Count to ten! Just like counting sheep before bed…
- Stand up and DANCE!
- Stand up and STRETCH!
- Stand up and BELT OUT A SONG!
- Take a walk outside or around the building you’re in.
- Get a drink of water or seltzer.
- Have a delicious mug of decaf tea or coffee.
- Take a thought break! Do some facebooking or read an article online. Surf the Wellness website.
- Take a power nap for 20 minutes.
- Blast your favorite song.
- Go for a run or use the Smith gym!
- Take a bubble bath.
- Call a friend and catch up.
- Schedule a massage, manicure, or pedicure.
- Snack on some fruit or healthy carbs.
- Watch your favorite show.
- Practice mindful breathing.
- Squeeze a stress ball.
- Chew gum to relieve jaw tension.
- Sit up straight instead of slouching in your chair.
- Read the comics.
- Check Smith’s schedule of activities for an event to attend.
- Do a craft or color.
Take a break and visit one of these websites:
Here are some additional tips for managing school-related stress: www.stressmanagementtips.com/school.htm
Progressive Muscle Relaxation