INTRODUCTION TO WINDOWS 7
If Windows 7 is installed on your Smith computer, you will notice that the network log-in box and the Windows log-in box look different. Click here to jump to the paragraphs below that explain how to proceed.
Learning to Use Windows 7
Microsoft has provided on-line video training and printable PDF documentation that explains how to use the Windows 7 operating system. Each video is about 5 minutes long; the accompanying PDF files are 3 to 5 pages long.
- Getting Around the Desktop: Explains changes to the Taskbar and the Start menu
- Personalizing your PC: How to change the desktop background and color
- Finding your files: How to find programs and files along with using the library
- Windows 7 Action Center: How to view your alerts and keep your machine updated
The Network Log-in Window
Just as with Windows XP, you will first see a Network log-in window (shown below), followed by a Windows log-in window.
- To connect to the Smith network, enter your network username and password, then click on the right pointing arrow or press the Enter key on your keyboard.
If your login is successful, you will see the "Log on to this Computer" window, with the statement, "Your Novell login succeeded" directly under the picture.
In the Log on to this Computer" window, leave the default username as "Smith" and the password field blank, then click the right-pointing arrow or press Enter from the keyboard.
- To work in "Workstation Only" mode: Click on the Computer Only Logon link below the password field.
In the "Log on to the Computer" screen, leave the default username as "Smith" and the password field blank, then click the right-pointing arrow or press Enter from the keyboard.
- To check or change your context and server settings: Click on the Show Advanced Options link.
Note: The "Forgot your password" process is not currently implemented.