USING TECHNOLOGY ON CAMPUS
If you just arrived on campus or will be here soon, the information on this page will help you get up and running quickly on the Smith network.
CONNECT YOUR COMPUTER TO THE SMITH NETWORK
If you brought a computer to campus, follow these steps to get connected:
- From the list of available wireless networks, choose SmithSecure.
- Enter the shared password: sophiasmith
(one word, all lower case)
Important: If you are trying to connect a mobile device (other than a laptop) that has never been on the Smith network before, start by choosing the SmithGuest network. Enter your email address when prompted, confirm that you can view pages in a browser, then connect to SmithSecure as above.
- If you don't see either SmithGuest or SmithSecure on your list of available networks, notify User Support at x4487. If you have an Ethernet cable, use it to connect your computer directly to the network dataport in your room.
- Open a web browser. If the Network Registration page appears:
- Enter your Smith network username and password.
- Read the Acceptable Use of Computer Resources policy, then click I Accept.
- Follow the instructions to complete the registration process.
You will be asked to complete the network registration process one time for each new computer or mobile device you connect to the Smith network. To learn more, click here.
If you didn't bring a computer to campus, click here for information about student computer labs.
QUESTIONS? Call the Smith User Support Center at x4487 or send email to email@example.com.
Back to top >
GET TO KNOW THE SMITH PORTAL
The Smith Portal (portal.smith.edu) is a customized web site that provides easy access to almost all software services provided by Smith, including:
- Smith Mail: Smith Mail is an official communication channel of the college, so you are expected to read all email messages sent to your Smith Mail account by college faculty and staff.
Smith Mail, powered by Google Apps for Education, is also the gateway to Google Drive, Calendar, Sites, and all the other applications in the Google Apps suite.
- Moodle: The Moodle course management system is used by many Smith instructors for posting course syllabi, assignments, and readings. (Note that fall semester Moodle courses will not appear in your My Courses list until the end of the summer.)
- BannerWeb: To access any of the financial data, class schedules, grades, job time entry sheets, etc., stored in BannerWeb, click the My Student Info tab in the Portal, then on any of the links you see listed. The system will take you directly into BannerWeb.
If you click on a link and are immediately logged out of the Portal, it means your BannerWeb account is disabled. Contact the User Support Center by phone (413-585-4487) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and ask to have your BannerWeb account enabled.
- Box cloud storage: Every Smith student automatically receives 25 Gigabytes of free cloud storage via her Box account.
- Lynda.com online courses: Every Smith student automatically receives free access to over 2000 online technology courses provided by Lynda.com. The range of topics includes Microsoft Office applications, databases, web design, photo editing, video editing, and much more.
Before the semester gets rolling, take a few minutes to explore the Portal and learn more about Smith's technology resources. Go to portal.smith.edu, enter your network username and password, and you're on your way.
|On-campus emergencies:||Dial 800 for Campus Police
(413-585-2490 on non-campus phones)
||Dial the 4-digit extension number
|Local calls: For a list of exchanges in
the free local calling area, click here.
|Dial 9, then the 7-digit number|
|Toll-free numbers:||Dial 9, then 1-8xx-xxx-xxxx
|Long Distance and International calls: To place long distance and international calls from your room phone, you must use a calling card or pre-paid card.|
Finding Out Your Smith Phone Number
In all residence houses except the five listed below, your room phone number is 413-585-xxxx (4-digit extension). Your 4-digit extension number is on the right side of the phone display, beside the green button.
In Conway House, 12 & 26 Bedford Terrace, and 44 & 54 Green Street, your phone number is 413-582-xxxx (4-digit extension).
For a complete guide to student telephones, click here.
Setting Up Voicemail
Follow these steps to set up voicemail on your room telephone:
- Pick up the phone and dial x2074 to access the voicemail system.
- Enter your 4-digit extension number (your "voice mailbox" number) and press the # key.
- Enter your starting password (111+ your 4-digit extension) and press the # key.
- You will hear: "The temporary password assigned by your administrator must be changed. To access your mailbox, please press 84 and change your password."
- Follow the prompts to change your password.
- To record an external greeting (optional), press 82 then 1 and follow the prompts.
For a complete guide to the voicemail system, click here.
- Don't share your password. Your network password is the gateway to all the personal, financial, and academic information Smith maintains for you, so please help us protect your privacy. For more information, click here.
- Don't share files illegally. This activity is expressly prohibited by Smith's Acceptable Use of Network Resources policy and can result in penalties imposed by the Recording Industry of America (RIAA) and by Smith. For more information, click here.
To avoid illegally sharing files, knowingly or unknowingly, disable any illegal peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing programs on your computer. For instructions, click here.
- Don't install a wireless access point. Your access point can disable network service for others around you. For more information, click here.
- Don't plan to use a wireless printer in your room. Wireless printers do not work properly in student residence houses. Bring a printer that connects directy to your computer with a cable.
Thanks for your help in making the Smith network work well for everyone.
Back to top >
If you have questions about anything on this page, call the User Support Center at 413-585-4487 or send us email at email@example.com. During the summer, the USC is open weekdays from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM EST.